Caulk around toilet and rest of bathroom

Old 10-02-22, 02:23 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulk around toilet and rest of bathroom

Sorry if this isn't in the right thread. I couldn't find one that was specific to "in progress" bathroom improvements. This is a new bathroom in my basement.

How do I seal the gap between the front of the toilet and the floor (about 1/2" due to uneven concrete floor under the laminate)? The picture here shows 1/4" backer rod. Can I just get 1/2" back rod and apply that big of a bead?

And for the rest of the gaps in walls, vanity, and trim, I think most of it I can just apply a bead of caulk around walls. Does that sound right?

What about this type of shower enclosure? Should I caulk at all the seams where all the pieces are put together?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-02-22, 02:30 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
Assuming that the toilet is level and not leaking, I would install toilet shims so that they take the weight load instead of the load being on the flange. If you then decide to caulk the gap it's probably a good idea to leave a weep hole at the lowest point in case the seal fails.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-22, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
Many tub surrounds nowadays are no caulk. Can't say if your is or not when we don't know what brand and model it is. That should be clearly stated in the installation instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: