Kitchen Cabinet Type

Old 01-12-23, 09:16 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Kitchen Cabinet Type

I need help identifying what type of cabinets I have (besides very dirty!). I believe they are inset, however, they have a frame on the inside that stops them from swinging. I don't think they're full overlay because there is a lot of frame you can see around them. The reason I need to know is so I can install concealed hinges after I repaint them.

Old 01-12-23, 11:38 AM
Received 301 Upvotes on 257 Posts
Generally cabinet doors and frames are not thick enough to recess true invisible hinges (like SOSS for full thickness doors) but they are available.

Hidden hinges for cabinets are installed inside but may require adding blocking to the frame for mounting them.

Adriane S voted this post useful.
Old 01-12-23, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
Those are called inset. But you probably can't do a concealed hinge without adding a block inside the cabinet that will allow the mounting plates to sit flush with your face frame.

There is a type of concealed hinge that mounts to the back side of the face frame but they are incredibly expensive and would be a real pain to install and adjust.

Old 01-12-23, 09:44 AM
Received 301 Upvotes on 257 Posts
Those are inset doors because they are within and flush with the face frame.

By "hidden" do you mean mortised hinges? Mortised hinges attach to the edges of the door and frame in a mortise cut into the wood but the pin section is still visible. True hidden hinges recess into the door and frame and nothing shows on the outside. There are hinges for cabinets with inset doors that surface mount on the inside.

The alignment of those doors suggest that a lot of fussy work will be needed to get a uniform appearance and good operation. That will include smoothing out the paint ridges around the existing hinges and possibly trimming the edges of the doors as well as cutting the mortises. Not hard to do with the right tools but time consuming.

Old 01-12-23, 10:21 AM
A
I had mortised hinges in mind. I don't know anything about true hidden hinges. Is one any better than the other? I don't mind doing the work!

Old 01-13-23, 07:14 PM
A
I have one more question. On my pantry, I have full overlay doors with a 3/8" offset. I'd like to install wrap around hinges because my kid is tough on them but I'm having a hard time find anything in 3/8". There are plenty of 1/2" available so what would happen if I used 1/2"? Would the reveal be too small to close or would it be 1/16" larger? Sorry, I'm having trouble picturing which way it would go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: