Bathroom Remodel Costs

Old 01-13-23, 04:38 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Remodel Costs

Hello All,

I am starting to plan a bathroom remodel. It is a standard bathroom with 1 sink, toilet and tub/shower. I am going to get rid of the tub and install a shower. I plan on doing the demo myself. I also want to move the plumbing for the shower to the right side. Currently the shower plumbing is on the left hand side as your face the tub/shower.
How much should I expect to pay to have the bathroom floor and shower retiled, vanity with sink installed and plumbing moved. Pic of current bathroom. It's not huge.

Top Answer

02-10-23, 07:08 AM
Norm201
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Many contractors will not allow customer to purchase materials. One reason is warranty and quality. Another is that often a contractor will get a discounted price for himself and in turn charge customer retail thereby adding to his profit margin. And I agree with both reasons. That does not mean that you cannot make the brand, style, and quality level of what he may offer. Or you can decide what to have installed as long as the contractor makes the purchase. Again, this protects you and him in the possible defects of product, workmanship and installation. You have only one person to work with and responsibility hangs with the contractor.

If you purchase the materials and there is problem with product or installation, that is on you and not the contractor. He can easily blame the product for poor installation.

Old 01-28-23, 06:35 AM
J
Nobody has done a bathroom remodel here?

Old 01-28-23, 07:53 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Use the Search feature in the blue menu bar to get lots of results.

Old 01-28-23, 08:19 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I have done four bathroom remodels. All except the frameless glass shower was done DIY. Trying to advise on cost is impossible. Mostly it will be dictated by area and materials selected - i.e do you want a $200 toilet or $500 toilet. The only certain thing is that if you contract it out it will be expensive.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 01-28-23, 08:49 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That's like asking what does a new car cost, well depends on what you want.

Figure labor is 2-3X's the cost of the material, that's why this is a DIY site.

Old 01-28-23, 09:02 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Let me first say, I'm not being rude in my reply but, just honestly direct.

I agree, its impossible to give any remotely accurate... even generic quote on a bathroom remodel on a forum without knowing specific details. By the time we get all the details needed to give any reasonable generic guess, you could have contacted a contractor & given them the info, in person, at the house while looking at the bathroom.

As cwbuff noted about a toilet for example, it depends on what the situation is. To move the drain from the left to the right side, cost is going to depend on if the house is on a slab, if its an older home off the ground on blocks, has a basement, etc.

My B-I-L (wife's brother) is a contractor. He did ours but it was on a B-I-L deal.
Again, I'm trying not to come across as rude but honest.
If you know somebody.
If you live in the rural deep south or New York City. That in itself is going to be probably $15,000 difference right there. So location makes a difference.
The quality of the contractor may make a substantial difference.
As cwbuff mentioned, quality of materials are going to vary widely.

If cousin Jim Bob down the by the creek does this... it could be $2,000.
If Los Angeles Superior Contractors Inc (generic fake name) does it... it could be $30,000+.

Home construction & design will cause widely various costs.

You really need to ask friends, family, co-workers etc for reputable contractors & choose 3+ of them to come give you an estimate in person.

Respectfully, good luck on your project.

2john02458, cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 01-28-23, 11:52 AM
I just did the same remodel on a bathroom about the same size as yours and the same items. Only difference was that I took shower stall out and installed a walk-in shower. I also did the whole thing, demo, tiling, flooring, building wall pieces to accept the walk-in shower pan, new toilet, wall-boarding, taping and painting, new exhaust fan and going through the roof, used the same sink and vanity. This was in 2020-2021.
My total cost...$3406.06. I live in the Western New York Area, and this was just before Covid.
You could adjust for you location and cost of inflation. I'd say about 15% to 20%

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 01-28-23, 12:03 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Florida also adds the problem of the amount of hurricane repair work going on. Contractors will be very busy and prices will be higher. Unfortunately not the best time to renovate a working bathroom especially if you end up with some fly-by-night contractor drawn to the area by hurricane work.

Sorry to be a downer but reality can really suck.

Old 01-28-23, 12:44 PM
Poster stated he was going to do all the work himself. No outside contractors.

The only time delay item I had was the special order for the shower pan. Two months.
However, it took almost a full year to the day to complete the job. Way too many other things that had to be done.

Old 01-28-23, 01:50 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Norm, I have installed 4 of the Tile Redi pans and never had to wait more than a week or so for shipping but all of this was pre pandemic. Was your job before or after the big excuse?

Old 01-28-23, 03:25 PM
Just before. But my shower pan was special order to avoid moving the drain. Since it was second floor bathroom, I decided the extra wait and not having to rip open the floor and re-pipe was worth it.

Old 01-28-23, 05:07 PM
D
Group Moderator
Sometimes, problems with online/typing on computers/forums/internet discussions, is punctuation, sentences out of order etc. Sometimes its hard to interpret someone's intent.

Norm, referring to your post #9.......
I understood his statements this way:

"I am starting to plan a bathroom remodel. It is a standard bathroom with 1 sink, toilet and tub/shower. I am going to get rid of the tub and install a shower. I plan on doing the demo myself. [end]

I also want to move the plumbing for the shower to the right side. Currently the shower plumbing is on the left hand side as your face the tub/shower.

How much should I expect to pay to have the bathroom floor and shower retiled, vanity with sink installed and plumbing moved. Pic of current bathroom. It's not huge." [end]

I understood his explanation to be that he was doing the demo.... then the reconstruction be contracted out. But I agree the statements weren't absolute & clear.

Again, sometimes it hard to understand typed info. No disrespect to you or the OP, just that we all read it differently I guess.

2john02458, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-03-23, 06:05 PM
S
It's already been said but I live in North Jersey and I spent over $40K for my bathroom with marble while cutting costs in my area. I could have easily spent $60K or I could have easily spent $15K. Contractors here are very expensive. I will also say do your own research before starting a project to avoid overpaying and running into issues that can be resolved with help from these folks.

Old 02-10-23, 06:16 AM
J
Thank you all for the input. I guess I'll call some contractors for quotes. My problem is I only need labor. I am buying all the new finishes.

Old 02-10-23, 06:17 AM
S
I would only allow the contractors to handle the raw materials.

Old 02-10-23, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I'm not sure if contractors work the same, but in the business I was in, those that sold fabric and hardware, would charge a higher labor price for COM. So you may pay more for labor only, altho I guess you save in materials, but no guarantee on them.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-10-23, 07:08 AM
Many contractors will not allow customer to purchase materials. One reason is warranty and quality. Another is that often a contractor will get a discounted price for himself and in turn charge customer retail thereby adding to his profit margin. And I agree with both reasons. That does not mean that you cannot make the brand, style, and quality level of what he may offer. Or you can decide what to have installed as long as the contractor makes the purchase. Again, this protects you and him in the possible defects of product, workmanship and installation. You have only one person to work with and responsibility hangs with the contractor.

If you purchase the materials and there is problem with product or installation, that is on you and not the contractor. He can easily blame the product for poor installation.

Marq1, Shadeladie voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-23, 06:29 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I just got renovated our small bathroom with help of a handyman.
We worked together with he and his assistant doing the back breaking tasks while I worked on plumbing and electricals ( nothing major) .
also hired a glass contractor for the shower door and return

Cost me around $12k all labor+material This is Boston suburb where cost of labor is pretty high.

Old 02-18-23, 04:26 AM
D
Group Moderator
Glad it worked out for you. You got to be involved and the project got done hopefully to your satisfaction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: