Keep or replace 55yo slide-on cast iron tub?

Old 01-14-23, 10:39 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep or replace 55yo slide-on cast iron tub?

Getting ready to renovate bathroom (down to studs). I've read that cast iron life expectancy is approx 70 yrs. Mine is 55 yrs.

Acrylic life expectancy is aprox 15 yrs and heat retention not as good as cast iron.

Replacing with new cast iron unlikely since narrow halls and doorway. Likely installed while home was being framed.

55 yr old bath tub looks to be in good condition.

Can I hire an inspector to evaluate?
Opinions?

Old 01-15-23, 10:37 AM
C
Received 86 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I think you can evaluate it pretty well yourself. Chips and stains on the enamel or porcelain are usually the most obvious problems, followed by rust around the drain or overflow. Cracks are possible but rare, and usually visible. If all that looks good from the top, then you can examine the underside. Minor rust around the drain or overflow is not a problem, but heavy or flaky rust is.

If all you have are minor chips or stains, there are companies that will refinish the tub. I would personally avoid the DIY refinishing kits, but the good pros can give you a durable result.

I like cast iron tubs myself, and wouldn't hesitate to keep one if there were no significant reasons to replace it.

[eta:} BTW, there are other options besides acrylic and CI, and some options are insulated so they retain heat well. CI retains heat, but also takes a lot of heat to warm up in the first place.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: