Softening Acrylic Backsplash

Old 01-19-23, 12:46 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Softening Acrylic Backsplash

I'm helping a neighbor with his 3/4 x 3 x 24 acrylic backsplash. The wall is painted beadboard and is not flat. It bows in about 1/4" in the center. I've figured how to apply pressure to it while the adhesive cures, but do I dare try to soften it with a heat gun. This is not the ideal adhesive situation with a the painted board and I'm afraid the backsplash will return to being straight after the pressure is removed.

Old 01-19-23, 02:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
"...3/4 x 3 x 24 acrylic backsplash."
Are you really putting 3" x 24" pieces of acrylic 3/4" thick on a wall???

How many do you need to apply? Is the acrylic textured or smooth and shiny?

Is your neighbor familiar with acrylic and how to take care of it? Especially in a kitchen where it will/should be regularly cleaned?

If you are really doing acrylic on the wall I would take the time to get the wall flat. I wouldn't want to rely on glue long term under constant tension. There are adesives that can do it but I'm more worried about it popping free by pulling the paint off the wall. Plus, a flat wall will greatly simplify installation and look better. The reflections in acrylic will really show imperfections in the wall/installation. If you want to continue with sticking acrylic that thick on a non flat surface I'd pre shape the pieces before sticking them on the wall. That way the heat won't be an issue.

Old 01-19-23, 03:21 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks, Pilot. This is a cheapo Home Depot one piece backsplash. Maybe I used the wrong material description, but it's some sort of white molded material. I'm also concerned about the paint failing and hence the glue joint. It's a bath vanity and I went ahead and glued it and firmly blocked it in place for a day to cure the adhesive. The pressure blocking closed about half of the gap between backsplash and beadboard.

Old 01-19-23, 05:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Well, if you glued it up already... then it's done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: