Make a Concrete Bathroom Vanity Top

Old 04-17-23, 10:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make a Concrete Bathroom Vanity Top

We'd like to refresh our bathroom vanity and I found inspiration for a concrete vanity top with an above-top sink. I found instructions on how to make one, but my husband is concerned that either the too will be too heavy or so thin that it will break. Is a concrete vanity top a bad idea? If so, what's a cheap way to update to get a gray color? If a concrete vanity top isn't a nightmare, does it need reinforcement or will it be fine without mesh? Is it fairly simple for a DIY newbie or should we hire it out?

Old 04-17-23, 11:58 AM
Received 399 Upvotes on 348 Posts
It could be a doable project but you will not be able to skimp on the materials, effort and steps required for a good result. Check out some online videos for ideas and pay particular attention to any that show fails like not including mesh, or insufficient forming. The ones that blow apart or leak before the concrete sets up may be the best to illustrate whether you can do it successfully.

Frankly, I prefer Corian as a counter material. There are many colors and finishes that could provide the look you are trying to achieve. Here are a couple of examples:

This Corian top has a double thickness edge and the marble pattern has fooled even experts at first glance.

This countertop and backsplash in a tiny bathroom are Corian scraps from a kitchen project. The sink is a spaghetti bowl where a standard sink would not fit.

I have found SolidSurface.com and SolidSurfaceExchange.com to be good sources for remnants.

Old 04-17-23, 03:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Follow the many instructions available. Do not skimp and try doing it without mesh. It's not a bad job but it has to be done properly in order to work. Everything from the nice smooth form to reinforcing to using the right concrete are all important to a successful project.

Do not expect a concrete counter to be inexpensive or easy. By the time you buy the materials and do the work your counter will have a premium price both in money and labor. It is totally custom after all.

"...what's a cheap way to update to get a gray color?"
Concrete is naturally gray but it can by dyed to get different shades.

Old 04-17-23, 06:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
As Dane said, concrete is neither easy nor cheap. If you want plain grey, I would think a laminate could be found in that color. $ up from there would be other manufactured but solid surface materials, like corian. I'm a quartz fan myself but I would think it would be something more complex than just plain grey based on the materials involved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: