Cause of cabinet damage

Old 06-02-23, 06:48 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cause of cabinet damage

Hi…and thanks in advance for any advice in this matter.

i recently moved out of an apartment in NYC and need help if these cabinets can be relaminated. my former landlord states excessive heat from cooking caused the laminate on a number of the cabinets to ”lift” (i have attached several photos for review). needless to say he wants to keep the entire security deposit of $3,150.00. he states 7 doors and 2 drawer fronts were damaged.

the Thermofoil cabinets were installed at least several years ago. My landlord received a couple quotes that dictate to replace the cabinet fronts (wood and laminate) for the ENTIRE kitchen of 19 doors and 5 drawers since they cannot match paint color. Costs for the 2 quotes was $6,500.00 and $5,035.00 (for thermafoil). also note that some of the cabinets where the laminate lifted were not located near the stove or oven and were at floor level and above the refrigerator.

per the attached pics do the cabinets look like the laminate can be replaced? would the cost be similar to the 2 quotes? could the cabinet laminate be ”reheated” to reglue the laminate to the cabinet? regarding matching paint is it near impossible to match? And finally…since cooking in a kitchen is a normal, daily thing to do would it be something that could have been avoided as I always used the overhead fan when cooking.

thank you again for any help.

Old 06-02-23, 08:22 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
To me it looks like high heat damage. But it could also be from very poor application of the Thermoplastic. How many years ago was the thermo applied? You might have case if you can prove that this process is prone to problems over a period of time. Are there other apartments that they can be compared to.
Did you take pictures before you moved in? And pics when you leave?

FWIW....To anybody who rents, leases or owns a property for rent. Take pictures before signing or committing to anything. Take those pictures, (be it thumb drive, smart drive disc or actual printed on paper) and insert into an envelope and mail it to yourself. Upon receival of your package, DO NOT OPEN IT and be sure the post mark is very clear. Save it for proof of how the property was prior to renting. In a court of law this will be proof of all conditions with the proof of date! That post mark date is the most important thing to preserve.
Included on those pics, should be wall condition, all fixtures (showing working), woodwork condition, floor (carpet) condition, furniture if include, electrical outlet condition, age of hot water tank, window condition, overall condition of kitchen and bathroom. Appliances condition (are they clean or dirty and in working order when 1st moving in?). Look for any signs of ceiling leaks. Inspect all locks and if they are in working order. Document everything!
If during the rental period, if items must be repaired and landlord does not respond in a reasonable amount of time, it is your duty and responsibility to mitigate damages. Keep detailed written quotes and cost of every little item. Official cost, receipts and company letter head quotes are mandatory.
If you share utility cost, figure out a way to measure your share and keep records of those cost with some type of proof.

These hints apply equally to both renters and owners. Don't go to court without proof.
And landlords, know your state laws on renting and evicting tenants. Because they will know the law most likely better than you!

darrenjk voted this post useful.
Old 06-02-23, 08:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I also would think heat and/or moisture damage.
I'd suggest taking your pics to a cabinet shop and ask for their take on the damage, regular wear and tear, lousy install or if they think it's your negligence.

When did you first notice the damage? did you bring it to the landlords attention at that time?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-02-23, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The fact that it's happening on the lower cabinets indicates it is probably just cheap crappy cabinets. I'd say the landlord is trying to stick you... and he should take it up with the cabinet company if their cabinets do that through normal use. Warranty issue...not tenants fault.

Old 06-02-23, 12:41 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
In my opinion the landlord is full of you know what.

The amount of heat required to do this if they are decent cabinets is very high.
Looks like there is a hood over the stove so even if the stove was used without the fan being on most of the heat would rise into the hood.
If you have a friend who is a lawyer get a letter put together and sent to the landlord.
Also if available in your area contact the rental ombudsman.

Take lots of pictures showing the damage in relation to other cabinet fronts. Also if there are other cheap/shoddy appliances/ cabinetry etc. get pictures of them to show this is the standard for this landlord.

If possible find out the make and model of these cabinets then you can research problems others have had and the price.

Who knows perhaps whoever installed them ripped the landlord off but that does not give him the right to rip you off.

Old 06-02-23, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
I'm with Sleeper; I thought maybe heat on upper ones from the stove, but then I noticed one of the pics is a lower. IMHO P.O.S. materials and/or workmanship from the start.

Old 06-02-23, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I would think it would have to be VERY hot to damage the cabinet doors' Thermo foil. Like Sauna hot. Looks to me like a defect in the cabinets.

The bad news is they already have your money, getting it back will likely involve a lawyer.

Old 06-04-23, 04:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
One of the problems with deposits like that, the ones holding the money also hold all (or most) of the cards.

Old 06-04-23, 05:28 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
On second look, I think you have a case. I would say it's up to the landlord to prove that you are responsible for the damage. Go to small claims court. It's up to the landlord to show the court how you could cause this type of damage on all the cabinets. It seems unlikely one can do this consistent type of damage on all those doors. It's very clear to me that this is not something an individual can cause.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: