Slanted Kitchen Cabinets

Old 06-20-23, 01:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Slanted Kitchen Cabinets

Sixty years old kitchen cabinets, front is slanted inwards at the bottom about 2'' don't know if there is a name for this type of cabinets. The sliding doors run on tracks. The cabinets are very solid and lots of space but the doors are very hard to slide and keeping the tracks clean almost impossible.
I would like to get rid of the slant and tracks and install modern doors but not sure how much work is involved.
Would appreciate some advice
Thank you

Old 06-20-23, 02:52 PM
Received 374 Upvotes on 324 Posts
Looks like a custom built-in-place cabinet with a space-age vibe. Not too common but not so strange for a 1960s kitchen. Is that when the house was built? Or was there a kitchen update from an earlier era?

You could possibly add a new face frame shimmed out at the bottom for a vertical front.

This 1980s oak and Formica vanity was refaced with a face frame and flush mounted doors made from reclaimed redwood.

Redwood frame was mounted in front of the original oak.

This is another cabinet that had an open shelf below the original doors now covered by the new frame and doors.

Old 06-20-23, 04:06 PM
B
Received 275 Upvotes on 245 Posts
It appears the doors slide on a vertical rib that is elevated so debris collecting on the slides shouldn't create much resistance unless it is collecting between doors (can't see spacing between doors). One possible problem is the doors have warped in the horizontal plane so the groove in the bottom of the door has no clearance on the rib. Solution would be to widen the groove using a table saw. Another improvement is adding vertical grab bars to the doors so more force is possible in sliding the doors instead of using the finger tip wells.

Old 06-20-23, 08:04 PM
R
The cabinets came with the house built in 1958. The builder used this type of cabinets in hundred of other houses.
The doors slide on tracks or vertical ribs but regardless of how debris-free they are they just get stuck. A very temporary solution was to lubricate the groove on the bottom of the doors with vegetable oil.
The accumulation of debris in the base cabinets is even worst
I'm considering my options before going full reno and having to remove them to install new cabinets
I seen the size of nails used throughout the house and probably used to fasten the cabinets to the studs, this is not a task I'm looking forward
Regards

Old 06-21-23, 05:27 AM
B
Received 275 Upvotes on 245 Posts
Sorry, the photo in post1 only showed above countertop cabinets. What material is the ribbed track made of? Does the ribbed track have burrs or dents affecting rib thickness?

Old 06-21-23, 07:33 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Show us a photo from further back so we can see the entire cabinet(s).

Old 06-21-23, 01:57 PM
R
The tracks have been painted over many times but it seems made of wood 1'' wide 1/2'' deep, they are smooth considering wear and age. There is a local hardware store that carries plastic wheels that can be mounted on the doors, also on line, I found aluminium or plastic tracks to replace the existing. That should take care of sliding the doors but unsure about how easy would be to keep the tracks free of debris.
If I were to add a frame face to make a vertical front to install non sliding doors the cabinet's bottom would protrude 2 12'' making it a bit more difficult to work on the counter but maybe is a matter of getting used to.
Also I'm considering how to match the finish of the new doors and the old cabinets.I need to evaluate the pros and cons.

Base cabinet track, identical to wall cabinets

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: