Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Can 100lbs medicine cabinet be mounted on 1-3 metal framing studs?

Old 10-29-23, 04:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I've got a mirror medicine cabinet that comes in 2 unequal parts
Total weight is 85lb and total length is 48 1/2"W x 26"H x 5"D, Large cabinet (29" wide, 50lbs) Small cabinet (19", 34lbs) I suppose the whole cabinet will weight 100lb when full.

The wholes in the mounting brackets are at both ends of the bracket and will not align with the metal studs behind the drywall. For each cabinet only one hole in the mounting bracket can be aligned to the metal stud and the other hole will be on the drywall only.

1. will these cabinets have enough support with only one screw on the metal stud?

2. What anchors do you recommend for the metal studs?

driller toggles, strap toggles, or a 3/16" toggle bolt

3. What anchors to use on the drywall with tiles (not in the metal stud)
Heavy duty drywall anchor or masonry wall anchors?

4. the whole wall is tiled.
Should I drill in the grout between tiles or in the middle of the tile?

thank you for your advice!
D

Old 10-29-23, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are these surface mounted cabinets ?
If yes.... I'm not understanding why you can't catch two studs.
Is the total unit not wide enough ?
Usually the fasteners go thru the cabinet if surface mounted.

A link to the cabinet would be helpful.
Pictures are also very helpful...... How to insert pictures.

Old 10-30-23, 05:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,189 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
"The wholes in the mounting brackets ... will not align with..."
Drill new holes as needed to mount to the studs.

Old 10-30-23, 06:31 AM
T
Received 111 Upvotes on 99 Posts
IMO, drilling into 1" wide metal studs securly is fairly difficult if you're not careful. It may be belts and suspenders but, I'd use 4 toggle bolts for each cabinet, especially the bottom cabinet if the other cabinet sits directly on it. Also, I suggest drilling the tile hole larger than the hole for the toggle bolts as the drill bit and metal studs can vibrate, causing the tile to crack.

Old 10-30-23, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 882 Upvotes on 745 Posts
For any heavy load attached to drywall or drywall and metal studs, I recommend using Toggler type anchors: https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-30-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would also recommend drilling into grout lines if you can to avoid cracking any tiles

Old 11-07-23, 09:09 PM
C
Clarification of the studs positions

Hi
Thank you for your replies! Thank you so much for indicating the best anchors/toggles for this type of work and how to drill on the tile without breaking it!

below is a drawing of the bathroom wall with the desired position of the cabinets and where the studs are located (see 'top view', second half of the drawing, the stud distance is calculated from the left 'West wall').

Cabinet 2 has two studs behind, so it's not a problem. I can drill new holes in the mounting bracket as you suggested.

Cabinet 1 is a problem, only 1 stud is behind the place I want to put it on. THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP FIGURING OUT HOW TO MOUNTED GIVEN THAT THERE IS ONLY 1 BRACKET AVAILABLE ON THE BACK OF THE CABINET

Sorry for the hand drawing, I don't have better tools but I tried to keep the scale of 2" per square and match the position of cabinet, sink and toilet between the front view and the top view. The walls on each side are done on grey line.

thanks again

CassaD

Old 11-07-23, 09:19 PM
C
forgot to add the mounting instructions that show the mounting brackets. the pictures do not match the actual cabinet, in reality one cabinet is larger than the other one.

http://downloads.jkeats.com/auto/FMC...019_MANUAL.pdf

Old 11-08-23, 04:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,189 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
"...I NEED HELP FIGURING OUT HOW TO MOUNTED..."
Just drill a hole through the back of the cabinet/frame at your joist locations and screw it to the stud. The same can be done with the mounting bracket. Drill mounting holes where you need to correspond with the joist locations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: