basement bathroom

Old 07-15-01, 08:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

My home is a split ranch and has a basement. We were told that the basement was "stubbed for a 3/4 bath". What can I do to utilize this space? Part of the basement is finished. I see the pipe sticking out of the floor in the unfinished side. What kind of contractor do I need and how do I choose a reputable one? We will need to do most of the work ourselves but need advice on what to do first.
Old 07-15-01, 09:05 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A 3/4-bath is for a shower, toilet, and vanity sink.
What is stubbed? Just the drains, or the drains and water supply lines?
You need to determine the layout of the bathroom.
It will need to be framed (walls, ceiling, door, and maybe floor), electrical (lights, gfci outlets, and exhaust vent fan), and plumbed (hot/cold to sink and shower, cold to toilet, and drain/waste/vent hookups for all 3), and how is it to be heated (and maybe cooled)?
You will need to select your fixtures (shower, vanity base and sink, faucets, toilet, light/fan unit, etc.).
You need a general contractor, who will secure the Building Inspection Department permit, do the framing, and probably hire the subs (electrican, plumber, HVAC).
You need to determine exactly what you will be doing and what you want the contractor to do. Do you want to be your own "general contractor" and hire each thing done that you cannot do?
Check the "Build/Remodel" and "Repair/Fix-It" (Plumbing section) above for illustrated general info.
Select a contractor by asking for references (friends, neighbors, etc.).
A bathroom is a small room, but a lot of work.
Good Luck!
Old 07-20-01, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Choosing A Reputable Contractor

In my experience in picking reputable contractors (for any home improvements) the best place to look is at your insurance office. My mother used to be an agent before she passed away and always had references handy for any type of home repairs that the homeowners she insured might need. If she got complaints, she no longer referred these contractors (it was in her best interest to refer someone good). Your insurance agents office is a good place to start. Good luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: