Backsplash Glass Mosaic Tile

Old 04-03-24, 12:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backsplash Glass Mosaic Tile

I am about to start a project to install a glass mosaic tile backsplash and was wondering if the wet saw blade that I have been using for ceramic tile can also be used for this mosaic tile? I've seen where some recommend a diamond blade and others say the ceramic blade that came with the saw will cut it also.

I bought a cheap Harbor Freight wet saw years ago and has done a great job with ceramic tile but never have tried on the glass tile. I believe it's a 7 inch blade.

Any special tips on cutting this kind of tile and installing it? I'm using the sheet tile where it is a subway tile but on a foot square sheet.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 04-03-24, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,218 Upvotes on 1,980 Posts
Your wet saw blade is most likely diamond. And, yes you can cut glass tile with it.

Test one of your tile sheets with some water. Soak the sheet and check it several minutes later to see if the tiles come off the sheet easily. Some backing will come off when it gets wet, releasing each individual piece. A real mess to deal with. If your tiles come off after it's been soaked you will need to score and snap each piece individually or make your saw cuts dry. It will cut but it wears the blade faster.

Old 04-03-24, 12:26 PM
B
The sheet that I have has a mesh backing that keeps the tiles in place. I think you're saying that when I have to make cuts to remove the tile from the backing and make the cut and then place it to where it should be, correct?

Old 04-03-24, 01:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,218 Upvotes on 1,980 Posts
No, that was only if you've found that getting it wet causes the pieces to fall off.

Old 04-03-24, 02:55 PM
B
Thanks Pilot Dane

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: