Upper Cabinet Layout

Old 05-14-24, 07:11 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Upper Cabinet Layout

Hello all, I'm renovating my kitchen and have a few upper cabinets in storage. Basically I have 72" of wall space to play around with and have 3 cabinets to use: the current microwave cabinet (33" W), a 39" double door cabinet, and a 30" double door cabinet.

Only the current microwave cabinet, when installed, lines up with the lower cabinet beneath it. New counter tops will be installed so all areas seen in pictures will have new countertop. Basically I have three different combinations I can use (some of these pictures were photoshopped so please forgive).

A) Microwave cabinet with 39" double door (finishes flush against the wall, can either have microwave cabinet on left or right but on right might be difficult to access since that counter area is quite deep)

Option A- microwave on left

Option A- microwave on right

B) Microwave cabinet with 30" double door (leaves a 9" gap to wall so would have to be filled with some open shelving or possible a new 9" upper but would rather not have to try and build an upper to match stain. Again, can either have microwave cabinet on left or right and right side would likely still work since its not all the way against the wall like in option B)

Option B, microwave on left

Option B, microwave on right

C) 30" double door with 39" double door cabinet (microwave would go on counter, leaves a 3" gap to wall so would have to be filled with a filler strip)

Option C

Which option do you think looks best?

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 05-15-24, 05:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
I think I prefer the last option best. Upper cabinets across the back wall. I would continue the counter to cover the framed in box in the lower right and set the microwave in that corner.

Mission creep: I would also remove the framing around the box in the lower right. I assume it's enclosing ductwork. Then I would reframe it with steel or at least turn the 2x4's sideways to minimize its size as much as possible. Personally I would go to pretty extreme measures to make that box as small as possible. It's sort of dominating things.

Old 05-15-24, 09:35 AM
V
I made that box as small as humanly possible; trust me. It used to be a wall that extended floor to ceiling with a built in oven in the wall. I got rid of that and just installed a gas range. Unfortunately, I cannot make the box any smaller since the basement stairs are behind it. If I try making the box any smaller, it would kill the headroom going down the stairs and its already tight as it is.

If I go with option C, there will be a 3-3.5" gap to the wall. Is that too big for a filler strip in your opinion? Any other options to hide the gap?

Last edited by vi27678; 05-15-24 at 09:45 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 05-15-24, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
I don't mind option B (microwave on left)... you could always build some 9" shelves to put on the right wall that extend out toward the doorway (above that corner stairway cover) and stain them to match the cabinets.

If you're considering option C (I'm not a fan) you could always turn that one 3" filler into three 1" fillers and just space those cabinets out a bit more.

Old 05-15-24, 09:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
I think most stock, cabinet filler strips are 3" wide sold in big box stores though I have seen some 6" wide. With custom cabinetry filler strips are made to whatever width they need to be. If your gap is a bit over 3" you could use a 3" strip then cover the rest of the gap with quarter round or some other molding.

Old 05-15-24, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Option B (microwave on left) also looks better with the location of your lighting.

Old 05-16-24, 10:54 AM
V
So I took some more photos and am down to my final 4 options:

Option A: Microwave cabinet on left with 39" double door cabinet

Pros: Microwave cabinet matches up with lower cabinet below, 39" cabinet matches width of counter, finishes flush to wall (no gap), microwaves stays off counter (although microwave is a large OTR)

Cons: Looks a little strange having large cabinet at end of cabinet run, looks a little dark, hard to access right door of 39" cabinet because counter is so deep in that area (45"), door opens into wall

Option B: Microwave cabinet on right with 39" double door cabinet (photoshopped these pics FYI)

Pros: Large cabinet fully accessible (although left side door will open into other cabinets in the corner), finishes flush to wall (no gap), microwaves stays off counter (although microwave is a large OTR)

Cons: Hard to access microwave since counter is so deep in that area (45"), door opens into wall, cabinets do not really align with the lowers at all, microwave is directly in the main prep area

Option C: Microwave cabinet on left with 30" double door cabinet

Pros: Microwave cabinet matches up with lower cabinet below, both doors of 30" cabinet are accessible, microwaves stays off counter (although microwave is a large OTR), makes the area look a little more open, brighter and less crowded compared to the 39" cabinet options

Cons: There is a 9" gap to the wall which would need to be filled with something (I just put in fake shelves as an example; dont want to have to build a 9" upper to match stain

Option D: 39" cabinet on left, 30" cabinet on right

Pros: Maximum cabinet space

Cons: Awkward 3" gap to wall (would have to get stain matching filler strip because dont see any other options), cabinets do not really align with the lowers at all, microwave has to go on counter (although can get a smaller more normalized sized one instead of a huge OTR), looks a little dark

Which option do you think looks best?

Old 05-16-24, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
No photos.

Old 05-18-24, 09:35 AM
V
The only issue with three 1" filler strips as opposed to a single 3" filler strip is that its going to be tough to get the filler strips to exactly match the stain of my cabinets. My cabinets are cherry and have been exposed to years of sunlight which only complicates the color match. I figured a filler strip at the end would be the least noticeable/eyesore in case I am not able to perfectly match stain. If I put the filler strip in between cabinets out in the more open area of the kitchen, I feel like your eye is definetly going to be drawn to it if its not a close match. Do you agree XSleeper

Old 05-18-24, 12:38 PM
V
I also have a video comparing 4 options below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uIg1MuV-s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: