Crumbling concrete septic tank. What to do?

Old 06-01-24, 11:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crumbling concrete septic tank. What to do?

Obviously I need someone to look at it. But I need to know what I am dealing with. I get conflicting answers over concrete and poly. Are there other kinds BTW? First thing I am hearing is what the county allows. Let's assume my county does both. I was told mine failed because gases of 25 years compromised the concrete. Roots didn't help either. Now shopping for new tank and other options. When I read what's the best I get concrete is the best. Then I get that poly is the best. Hard for root to mess with it. Granted, roots can get in anywhere. then other companies say roots will crush it. The companies say concrete is cheaper and others say poly is. For that mater can the concrete be repaired? It seems the top 6" where the outlet is has broken away. Who is your opinion of the truth?

Old 06-01-24, 01:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Since your not finding a definitive answer as to which is best I think that gives you a clue. Each has it's own pro's and con's. As for price it's about location, location, location. Septic tanks are huge so shipping them is expensive. I have a concrete tank at my house because they are made in my town. Shipping in a plastic tank was a non-starter due to shipping cost.

I know your current concrete tank is failing but don't rule out concrete. Failure at 25 years is unusual but you didn't say why yours failed (external physical damage?). I've seen built on site tanks (cement blocks...) fail after 50 years but I have never seen a pre-cast concrete tank fail on it's own. If something happens to them it's because a heavy machine was driven on top or they were hit by a machine or were affected by gross soil settlement.

Old 06-01-24, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
It seems the top 6" where the outlet is has broken away.
If the rest of the tank is OK I would think it could be repaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: