Apartment Kitchen with no drawers, help!

Old 06-23-24, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Apartment Kitchen with no drawers, help!

I just moved into a new apartment and it has only 2, very, small drawers. I do have a lot of cupboards, and good size counter space. Time to get creative without doing actual alterations. I don't want to lose my deposit when I move.

I'd love to get some recommends, that aren't expensive and preferably no screws of nails in the walls, although I am allowed to do that. I'm thinking as many ideas as I can find to just keep my utensils and also towels/dish clothes.

Any help/suggestions/photo would be so appreciated. I am a bit OCD and not being able to get things out of boxes and in "their" place, wherever that ends up being

Here are a couple of pics that show the cupboards with no handles, and just the teenie drawers. I also kind of like the idea of not drawers actually, as it's easier to get things out it the open as long as it looks good
I would like to find some cupboard handles that might work for me but just don't know anything "un-damaging" exists, thanks much, Abbynormal

PS I know I need to have more functional decor, not the "nicnac" things. Please remember I just moved in on 20th of this month. Embarrassing to take photos as I am so disorganized

Top Answer

06-23-24, 07:18 AM
CarbideTipped
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
Those doors are designed to work without pulls, you just use the shaped edge of the door to open it. You can get self contained drawer units that are designed to mount to a shelf in the cabinet. They of course require opening the door first before you can pull the drawer out. You do have to screw them to the shelf, but you can flip the shelf over so they are screwed into the "bottom" of the shelf, and then flip them back after removing the drawer units when you move, and no one will be the wiser.

Can't tell from the pics, but another option would be a rolling portable cart with drawers if you have a place for it.

Old 06-23-24, 07:18 AM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
Those doors are designed to work without pulls, you just use the shaped edge of the door to open it. You can get self contained drawer units that are designed to mount to a shelf in the cabinet. They of course require opening the door first before you can pull the drawer out. You do have to screw them to the shelf, but you can flip the shelf over so they are screwed into the "bottom" of the shelf, and then flip them back after removing the drawer units when you move, and no one will be the wiser.

Can't tell from the pics, but another option would be a rolling portable cart with drawers if you have a place for it.

2john02458, abbynormal52 voted this post useful.
Old 06-23-24, 07:49 AM
Thank you much for the tips and there isn't room enough for a cart unfortunately,

The doors are difficult for me so I'll keep looking I'm a senior lady and have trouble using my hands on things at times Abby

Old 06-23-24, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
If you need drawers, buy a drawer base cabinet and a short piece of butcher block countertop for it and put it on 4 wheels. You can put it against the wall someplace, and have the option to roll it out like an island when you need it. For dish towels maybe look into something like this, that mounts inside the sink base or another nearby cabinet.

As you know, since it's an apartment, you really aren't authorized to make modifications.

abbynormal52 voted this post useful.
Old 06-23-24, 07:22 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I wonder if you could use something like this for a handle? Command 7.5 lb. Large White Clothes Hanger (1 Hook, 2 Strips) 17019-ES - The Home Depot (Maybe install it upside down on bottom cabinets, right side up on upper cabinets to act as a knob?) If you have shelves in your cupboards, maybe using something like this would work? Amazon.com: Pull Out Cabinet Organizer, Expandable (12.6"-20.5")Heavy Duty Pull Out Drawers for Cabinets Fixed with Adhesive Film,Adjustable Peel Stick Slide Out Drawers for Kitchen Pantry Bathroom,No Screw,White : Home & Kitchen

abbynormal52 voted this post useful.
Old 06-24-24, 06:33 AM
Those are amazing, the "little hangers"!! I think those come off very easy as well, where some of the velcro type wall/cupboard things do not. Thanks so much, I'll check these out @mxmom.

I'm learning to use the cupboards as I didn't understand until @carbidetipped explained where I'm supposed to grab the door. But the bottom cupboards are difficult because of the ledge right above them, scrapes my fingers

Another thing I am liking not having drawers at all, but just need organization, not the "clutter" look I so appreciate the answers, all of them. I'm also glad I lean toward minimalist so and see a full box of things that can just go to St. Vincent DePaul (untensils etc. I never use, and a junk drawer, yuck! Do away with that as well

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: