Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Mineral deposits on antique glass pitcher from use as flower vase

Mineral deposits on antique glass pitcher from use as flower vase

Old 10-28-01, 02:19 AM
Visiting Guest
I purchased a beautiful old water pitcher, very ornate and with stunningly beautiful lines. The mouth is too narrow for even a small hand to get down inside. The pitcher had been used for many years as a vase as it was really too unbalanced to try to fill it with a liquid and pour from it. I cannot get the mineral lines from the inside. I have tried CLR with no effect. I have swirled vinegar and shotgun shot in it to try to loosen the minerals, to no effect. I will try anything. This is in perfect condition except for the marks which spoil it. Thanks

Old 10-28-01, 06:10 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Mineral deposits in antique glass pitcher

Did you give the CLR time to work? You may have to let the product stay in the pitcher for several days. Forum members also recommend denture tablets dropped in flower vases. Members have also suggested using a bottle brush as well as adding some uncooked rice to swirl around inside vases to provide some abrasion in cleaning the surface. If the minerals have pitted and etched the surface, you may not be able to restore the piece to its original clarity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: