sole plate repair?

Old 11-01-01, 11:39 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if that is what you call it, sole plate. it's the 2x4 that is directly on the slab. The studs nail into it vertically. Well, i am remodeling my bathroom and just noticed tonight that the "sole plate" is rotten. looks like water damage, not termites. it's deteriorated in spots, and somewhat solid in others. what can i do to repair it? i cannot reach down there as it is behind my tub. i'd REALLY rather not tkae it all out to repair, not that i'd know how anyways. it looks as though the damage is old. the wood is NOT damp at all. can i put in some braces of some sort?

Old 11-01-01, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The best thing to do is take it all out and rebuild it.
However, based on what you've said, just use 2X4s and nail or screw them to the existing studs (called "sistering") from top to bottom.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 11-01-01, 03:03 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i'm not sure what you mean... nail new 2x4 side by side to the exisinting 2x4 (which are not rotted), or nail 2x4 pieces horizontally to the studs, spanning from stud to stud?

Old 11-02-01, 12:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If the studs aren't rotted, and you don't want to remove the rotted sole plate, then just leave it as it is.
There possibly may be some settling as the sole plate deteriorates, however.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: