Water Behind Toilet

Old 11-18-01, 02:03 PM
DIANEANDCARMEN
Visiting Guest
Angry Water Behind Toilet

HELP!! SHOULD I CALL A PLUMBER? I WAS CLEANING MY SONS CLOSET AND SAW A WET AREA ON THE WALL THAT BACKS UP TO HIS BATHROOM. I HAVE HAD SOME WATER PROBLEMS IN THAT BATHROOM IN THE PAST. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE WALL LOOKS A LITTLE BIT BLACK AT THE BOTTOM? THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A STUPID QUESTION BUT I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS ANYTHING THAT MY HUSBAND CAN FIX? OR COULD I FIX IT MYSELF?? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

DIANE
DIANEANDCARMEN
LOVEROFC3@AOL.COM

Old 11-18-01, 03:38 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Toilet Leak

It may be that the seal is leaking in the back and the moisture is going through the wall. Mold/mildew loves damp, dark, and unventilated places. Get the closet door open, turn on a fan, and spray 50/50 bleach/water solution on the mold/mildew area. Cover floor covering with plastic to protect from the bleach if you spritz. Otherwise, sponge on the solution. Next, call a plumber to pull the toilet and reset it with a new wax ring. Before doing so, check the floor around the toilet to see if there is any mold/mildew or deterioration of the floor covering or subfloor. Mold/mildew must be disinfected. Deteriorated subfloor will need to be replaced.

Old 11-19-01, 03:21 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello, You found a wet floor and/or wall in the closet. you got good advice on drying out the closet. Did you go in the bathroom and see if you can find the leak? Is the floor behind the toilet dry? Maybe the angle stop, flex line, ballcock, or tank bolts are leaking. Water can travel uner the plate and soak up the closet. Check the easy stuff first then pull the toilet if you have to.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 12-04-01, 01:41 AM
Visiting Guest
place a towel behind the toilet on the floor and see if gets wet,it may be a slow drip from the tank,i had that problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: