Tub/Shower Surround

Old 11-27-01, 07:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shower surround

Due to technical diffuculties, some posts have not been posted. Could you please repost your question about tub/shower surround.

Old 11-28-01, 07:04 AM
Hetch
Visiting Guest
Tub/Shower Surround--Tile

Let's try this again......

I have an old bathroom with a porcelin tub, no shower, and wall tile that goes up to about 4' AFF. I will be installing a shower in the existing tub and need to protect the untiled walls up to the shower head.

Two questions:
1) If I add more tile to match existing, can I simply remove the radius capped trim pieces at the top of the wainscotting and continue above the existing 4x4?...... or must I remove all tile?
What kind of issues exist if I just add to what is there. Since the previous owner used a radius cap at the top, Im betting (hoping)they had at least some kind of backer board behind the tiled wall...the rest of the walls above are painted drywall and plaster.
What are my concerns?

2) Any other options besides the tile addition?....Anything ever done with corian?...glass?, etc.?

Old 11-28-01, 07:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tub/shower surround

Just some thoughts....You'd probably never find tile to match. Another much more important concern is that concrete underlayment is recommended beneath tiled shower walls as drywall and greenboard (water resistant drywall) are not waterproof. I feel certain you only want to do this job once and you want it done right.

Corian shower walls are wonderful but pricey. There are, of course, lesser expensive alternatives such as fiberglass surrounds. The house where I currently live has cultured marble shower walls, which are attractive and easy to maintain. A visit to a local bath supplier's showroom may reveal additional options.

You can learn more about tile at www.doityourself.com/ceramic. You might also want to post questions on the ceramic tile forum on our doityourself site. Also, the tile pros on the forums at www.johnbridge.com are a wonderful source of info and help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: