Tub replacement

Old 11-29-01, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Tub replacement

I totally gutted my bathroom, except my walls. Area of the bathroom is 8X5. With the walls being 60 inches apart, will a new 60 inch tub surround go in okay? Are there tips or tricks to getting one in? I was going to go with a one piece, but would a 2 piece be easier?

Old 11-29-01, 07:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

That depends on the width of your bathroom doorway.
I have seen people remove the door, frame and all, to get one-piece tubs in. Myabe you can.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-30-01, 05:10 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
surround install

The door will not be the problem. You cannot turn a 60" tub or surround inside of a 5' wide bathroom. The surround will measure about 67" diagonally, across the corners. How do I know? I did this about 5 months ago. I discovered the situation when I tried to remove the old 60" cast iron tub. I could pick it up, but couldn't turn it to get it out. I broke the old tub into pieces to remove it, but had to remove a section of wall to get the new tub/surround into place.

If you're going with a one piece surround that is flexible, you may be able to bend it enough to turn it into place. Be careful, fiberglass is not known to flex very much without cracking. I would personally go with a 3 or 5 piece surround.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: