splicing pvc soil pipe into cast iron

Old 12-13-01, 08:50 PM
Visiting Guest
splicing pvc soil pipe into cast iron

Am in the process of splicing a 14' section of pvc in to a 3" cast iron soil pipe through bath remodel. After 13 years smooth operation, have had numerous stopages recent months all occurring in this area. Designed new bathroom to include max replacement of old pipe in the area. Have a couple of basic questions.
~Is it necessary for new pipe to be cut exactly same length as cut out section on old pipe? Can it be a little short?
~Main line runs under slab and appears only in this area not to have full 1/4 fall, more like 1/8 or 3/16. How exact does the 1/4 rule need to be for this 14' section? (Can't dig up the whole house.) Will the pvc help speed things up? This is the third and last bath on the line and the only area with a periodic soft stoppage issue.Fall from far end of this section out to clean out is exactly 1/4".

Old 12-14-01, 01:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

1. It can be just a bit short, as long as it fits securely into the no-hub (Fernco) connection.
2. The 1/4" of slope per linear foot of drain pipe can sometimes be 1/8", if allowed by local code. You have only 1/4" total slope in 14' pipe? THAT will be a drain problem.
I think that PVC may drain better than cast iron, because there is less to hang up on inside.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-14-01, 03:22 AM
Visiting Guest
slope

Thanks for answer. All ref.'s to slope are per foot. From the southern end of my splice to the cleanout is 19' and we maintain exactly 1/4" down slope per lin. foot. For the 14' to the north, running inside our remodeling area, where the slab has been removed, we are at a total drop of 1.875"(1 7/8"), a little better than 1/8" per foot. I can't read the slope from the northern end of the splice back under the house, but I assume it is good from that point to origin, as we have had no stoppages in that area.
The splice is 14' of 3" pvc with a single 3" Wye soil stack connection. Into that will drain the 3" toilet line combo'ed with the 2" dbl. vanity line. Over that will drop the 2" shower/tub line. The stack is near the S. end of the splice, near return to good fall.

Old 12-14-01, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

It should work fine.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: