installing tub fixtures

Old 12-22-01, 12:21 PM
Visiting Guest
installing tub fixtures

My husband and I are getting ready to intstall new tub fixtures in our bathroom. We live in an older home. I am not sure if the pipes are iron or lead. The home is over 30 years old. We are installing new fixtures because the faucet is leaking. This will be the second time we have installed new fixtures since buying the home 4 years ago. What could be the cause of the problem? and we could use any and all advice on installing the new fixtures. If you could direct us to a website with specific details on this subject, that would be great.

Old 12-23-01, 02:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

First, you may not need new fixtures.
Faucets can usually be repaired with new washers or cartridges.
What brand and type of faucet do you have?
Single-handle? Double-handle?
We'll be glad to help you. Just need a little more info.
Mike

Old 12-23-01, 05:09 PM
Visiting Guest
installing tub fixtures

We have double handle fixtures. And the pipes along with the water heater are located behind a wall in our bedroom closet which makes access difficult. I don't believe our home was built by professionals. It is possible that the bathroom may have been remodeled at some point before we bought the home. I am not sure of the brand of fixtures on the bathtub at the moment but, the new fixtures are price pfister.

Old 12-23-01, 11:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The water lines in an older home may be galvanized steel, but they should not be lead,
If it has been remodeled, they may be copper, or CPVC (hot) and PVC (cold) plastic.
To determine what type of faucets that you have, turn off the water, remove the handles, and unscrew the valve stem assemblies counter-clockwise.
If they're recessed into the wall where you can't reach the hex part of the valve stem body, you will need a set of plumber's sockets to remove them (about $12 bucks).

Socket Wrench Set
You may only need to change the rubber washers on the ends of the stems, if they're compression type faucets.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: