neo-angle shower enclosures

Old 12-27-01, 04:47 PM
Visiting Guest
neo-angle shower enclosures

I am installing a neo-angle shower enclosure. After discovering a leak from the ceramic tile walls, I removed the tile and found the wallboard coated with mold (black) and rotten. I have removed the wallboard and replaced it with Wonderboard six feet high. The remaining wallboard that I replaced is the greenboard. My questions are:
1. Should the wallboard be painted before installing the shower enclosure?
2. Any insights into fiberglass, acrylic, or "Vikrell" as the material when selecting the product?
3. How can I determine the impact of the mold on remaining wallboard? (I noticed that the wallboard used for the ceiling below has some of the black mold under the insulation between the floors.) Will the ceiling below also need to be replaced? Any place that I can get the mold tested to determine the type? Any way to kill the mold without totally gutting another bathroom? Will it die by itself without the moisture from above?

Thanks for any assistance! Emil

Old 12-29-01, 09:36 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing neo angle shower

Concrete underlayment is best in shower areas. Any areas that have been contaminated with mold/mildew should be disinfected with 50/50 bleach water solution and allowed to thoughly dry. If there is evidence on the surface of drywall or greenboard (drywall with water resistance coating) there is the chance of contamination behind because drywall is not waterproof and is absorbent. Typically, concrete underlayment is not painted.

If the budget will allow, acrylic is a much better product than fiberglass. The color goes all the way through acrylic and scratches can be buffed out. It is also a more beautiful product than fiberglass. Vikrell is a Sterling fiberglass product. Fiberglass has a gel coat that when worn or scratched absorbs soil and creates cleaning nightmares. Both acrylic and fiberglass should be cleaned with nonabrasive cleaners.

Follow shower manufacturer's instructions for installation. Go to www.doityourself.com/baths for helpful project information.

The extent of damage by moisture can only be determined by tearing into the affected areas to determine how much deterioration has taken place and the appropriate steps to make repairs. Areas affected by mold/mildew should be disinfected with 50/50 bleach water solution. Apply and let set to thoroughly dry. If damage assessment does not require tearing out ceilings, affected areas can be disinfected, allowed to dry, and sealed with a shellac based sealer such as B-I-N before repainting. Insulation affected by mold/mildew should be replaced. To learn more about insulation go to www.owenscorning.com for installation tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: