Not enough exhaust??

Old 01-05-02, 02:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Not enough exhaust??

Wondering what to do about our bathroom exhaust fan. I replaced it about 2 years ago because it seemed sluggish. I can't remember the size, but I used whatever the outlet said was the maximum. During colder temps (we live in central FL) the walls in our bathroom start to "sweat" and you can see the drips where they have dried . I have the exhaust running all during the showers, and sometimes for the rest of the day.

It is currently over the toilet area, across the room from the walk-in shower. Is there anything you can suggest? I was thinking about adding a 2nd exhaust near the shower, but not sure if this would do it. There are also no functioning windows in this area - just glass block

Thanks for the help!

Kim

Old 01-06-02, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Bathroom exhaust fans of the same brand will often appear exactly alike, but actually will have different size electric motors.
If you get one that has too small a motor, it won't do the job in your bathroom (apparently your problem).
Measure the cubic footage of your bathroom (length X width X height).
Look for an exhaust fan of the exact same brand and housing, and get one with the largest cfm rating (cubic feet per minute) that you can. It will tell you on the box. You can't "over ventilate", so just make sure that you get the largest motor that you can.
Switch out the fan assembly. The only difference will be the motor size, and it should fit right into the same housing.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-06-02, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike. I remember doing that before, and taking the motor to Lowe's to show them what I had. So, we won't "blow" anything if we get a larger CFM rating for the housing? Cool!

There are times now, however, when I turn it on and it sounds like it's not going to start up. Could it just be wearing out? Thanks again. Glad I found these forums!

Kim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: