prime and paint both sides of beadboard.

Old 09-03-01, 02:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are concidering buying a house and the roof is on a 4 and 12 pitch...no attic and I would also like to build a room onto the back part of the house. The only problem is that you can't add on unless you want the roof of the addition to sweep the ground( because of the pitch ). Is it possibe to add a new roof to our home, if so where would I need to start. I would like to do this myself.

Old 01-10-02, 02:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
prime and paint both sides of beadboard.

i'm putting in beadboard in the bathroom and i know that i need ti prime and paint the wood with a semi-gloss or gloss paint. should i prime and paint both side so that mold and mildew does not grow in the "Wall" side of the beadboard? also, should i use an adhesive like liquid nails as well as nails to hold the beadboard up?

thanks
mitch.

Old 01-10-02, 05:55 AM
G
You only need to prime the back side with a good oil primer. What kind of backing are you going to have for the beadboard when you install it. If all that you have is studs 16" OC, then go with the liquid nails. It would allow you to only have to put nails at the top, which wiould be covered by the cap, and at the botton, which would be covered by the baseboard.

Old 01-10-02, 06:37 AM
M
beadboard is going over greenboard

the beadboard is going over greenboard. it'll be painted a semi-gloss probably. so the only priming i need to do is on the back side? should i use liquid nails over the greenboard or let it go with just nails?

Old 01-10-02, 06:44 AM
G
Eventually the priming is going to have to be done on both sides. The back is only important to do before you install it. You are going to need some nail to hold the boards in position for the liquid nails to dry. Have you installed the greenboard yet. If not it would make sense to install some pieces of 2x4 on the flat at 3 points in the wall framing. 1 would go at the bottom of the framing between the studs. the second would go approximately halfway between the floor and half way up the bead board. The third row woul go at the level of the top ove the bead board. This would allow you to nail the bead board at 3 locations and do without the liquid nails. If the green boar is alreay up, nail at the bottom of each board and at the top. You probably woun't his a stud when nailing at the top, but it's only to keep the board in place until the liquid nails dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: