Drain Pipe snapped under the Bathtub

Old 01-10-02, 02:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Drain Pipe snapped under the Bathtub

Please help

does anyone know of a temporary/permanent way to fix a jagged end of a pipe that has snapped, a clamp or something...

Right underneath the "T" that connects the bathtub drain and the overflow drain, I have manage to snap an old pipe...... I am guessing rethreading the pipe is out of the question because the pipe has a manufactured bulged right at the break.

Thanks

ADAM

Old 01-11-02, 12:52 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replace the tub drain. Not that difficult or expensive, assuming you have some access to the drain end of the tub. (If you managed to snap the pipe, you must.) A new drain assy. will include everything you need.

Old 01-11-02, 10:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Replacing the drain Shoe

I have replaced at leat 500 Drains in my refinishing business and have snapped a few myself so I know what you are going through. Do you have access from behind and beneath the bathtub? Sometimes you need to cut a hole in the wall and work from there. The only time I was not able to fix one that snapped was when the tub sat on a concrete foundation and there was no access from a wall behind. We do have what is known as a drop in Drain. They are sold by a company called WATCO PLUMBING. You can see a picture of one at our site. They drop in right over the existing drain.

Old 01-13-02, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
fixed it

I had access to the pipes through a closet, the break was underneath the "T" that connects the drain shoe and the overflow, the peice that broke is sometimes called the tail piece.
see attchment...

I fixed it with a rubber boot that had a heavy duty clamp on both ends.... works nicely..

THANKS FOR THE HELP
ADAM

Old 01-13-02, 12:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Drain Pipe

OK got you now. That's great you had enough access to
get the boot on. I imagine it should work great since the water is just a gravity drain with no pressure on it.
Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: