tile shower problems

Old 01-14-02, 06:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tile shower problems

ok...here's the scoop...

my tile shower has some apparent cracks in the grout near the bottom row of tiles...we just bought the house 4 months ago...when the inspector inspected the crawl space (i was with him), he noticed some obvious water damaged wood under the the tile shower area...he filled the tile shower up with about 2 inches of water at the beginning of the inspection to check for shower pan leaks...but at the time of the crawl space inspection, there was no obvious water leaking...he knocked around the wood to check for rotting wood...he said it all sounded solid...i trusted his decision that there was probably a leak sometime in the past, and it not leaking now...(this is my first house)

some of the floor joist under the shower have water damage stains...it is obvious to me now that water has just more than leaked over time...

what options do i have or what options do i need to take???

michael

Old 01-14-02, 08:32 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, first, you need to stop the leak. Which could be as simple as cleaning and sealing the grout, or may involve removing and replacing the grout. It depends on the condition of the grout. If it is cracked as you described, remove it up the wall to "good grout" and replace it, followed by sealing it.

You also need to use and awl, or similar tool to determine the integrity of the floor joists, and correct whatever problems you may encounter.

For more info on ceramic tile go to John Bridge's site at www.johnbridge.com. He has excellent instructions there, plus a tile forum.

Old 01-16-02, 11:14 AM
zippyhead
Visiting Guest
Hey boy....

you could simply stain the joist a dark color.

A problem hidden is a problem solved!

zippy

ps

Old 01-16-02, 11:30 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Repairing shower tile

"It's easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't." -- Martin Van Buren, 8th President, 1837-1841

Old 01-18-02, 10:28 AM
GuruCory
Visiting Guest
Try to determine if you in fact still have a leak at all. Put some plastic down or something to see is any water drips down over time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: