Thinset Or Mortar For Tub Base

Old 01-31-02, 04:46 PM
wayne1083
Visiting Guest
Question Thinset Or Mortar For Tub Base

WHAT ACTUAL PRODUCT WILL I NEED TO USE FOR THE BASE UNDER THE FIBERGLASS TUB. IS IT THINSET, CONCRETE, MORTER OR ACTUALLY WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PRODUCT? THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Old 01-31-02, 06:42 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Supporting a tub

Following manufacturer's instructions is always best. Some manufacturers recommend casting plaster or mortar. Mix 3-5 lbs small amount of water until dough like. Place several mounds on subfloor will unit will be set. Mounds should be about 12" in diameter and about 6" high and kept at least 6" away from drain. Install unit and make sure it is level. The mounds spread out to support unit. Sand is not recommended as it can shift and holds moisture. Foam is not recommended as it can disperse unevenly and cause stress points and over time compress and not support the unit.

Old 02-03-02, 11:06 PM
goatboyz11
Visiting Guest
I recently installed a tub and shower base in my home. I first tried cement. This didnt work. The cement coudn't compress enough to let the shower base sit on the floor. I then tried Structolite Gypsum plaster. It worked great. I mixed it so it was like a plaster consistency then applied a heavy amount. When i installed the base it compressed nicely, and the next day it hardened so well it felt like i was standing on concrete.

Old 02-06-02, 04:11 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tub base

I used mortar that was mixed sorta runny. I placed 3 mounds under the tub. Measure how much height you need before putting anything down. Too much and it won't settle out. Also it helps to weight the tub down with something til the motar sets. I used several bags of sand to hold mine down.

nashcat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: