ducting bathroom exhaust fan

Old 02-04-02, 08:02 AM
bam8x6x
Visiting Guest
ducting bathroom exhaust fan

Hi everyone-

I'm installing a new bathroom exhaust fan and am wondering about the best way to duct it. It's on the front of the house, so I'd like to avoid using a roof vent. I'd like to put a vent into the soffit, but I've got replacement vinyl soffit over the old wood. I couldn't find a grill type vent and access from the attic is really tight. Is there enough ventilation coming through the soffit that I can just run a 4" flexible duct in there and hope it will vent w/o drilling any holes?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-02, 09:10 AM
Cool

I'm afraid not.
The purpose of a bathroom vent is to exhaust all of the warm, moist air from the home bath interior to the outside.
Venting it into the attic will only create a moisture problem there.
It should be vented through the roof, through a wall, or through a soffit vent.
You might make a homemade vent with screen and hardware cloth over a hole in the soffit to vent it downward.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-04-02, 09:11 AM
If the soffit is made up of individual pieces, then you can get them loose without much trouble. There is a siding tool called a "side swiper" by Matco tools that is used to remove individual pieces of vynil siding and soffit to make repairs.

Old 02-04-02, 09:13 AM
By the way. they do make a soffit vent fixyure now. Look where they sell the dryer vents.

Old 02-04-02, 04:06 PM
Lightbulb

Soffit vent kits are also available from building supply stores that sell vinyl siding.