Urgent question about drain cap

Old 02-06-02, 02:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Urgent question about drain cap

I need to remove the drain cap in my bathtub to get drain cleaner down it, but I can't get it off. It covers the drain completely, and looks like a small inverted margarine tub, with a button on top you push to release. Has anyone heard of this type of drain cap? If so, how do I remove it?

Old 02-06-02, 03:06 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Have you looked under the cap for a set screw?
Old 02-06-02, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
No, I can't get under it....

The cap looks like this: (ignore the periods.... they're spacers, ascii art isn'tthat easy on these forums...)

Button to release plug
...................... ___||||____
Plug ->...........|..................|
Drain ->.......----\............../----

I can't see under because the cap itself is only about 3cm off the tub floor.

Does this help?
Old 02-06-02, 03:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Foot Actuated Stopper

Apparently, it may be a "foot-actuated stopper".... does that help?
Old 02-06-02, 06:51 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Diego Ca. USA
Posts: 984
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello, Try to unscrew it. If it just spins you may have a vandel proof stopper. With a pair of channel locks hold the plug and with pliers turn the botton off. You should find a shaft the will turn out with a screwdriver under the cap.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Old 02-08-02, 01:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Run the snake through the overflow

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: