bathroom remodel ?'s

Old 02-11-02, 12:56 PM
Chad T
Visiting Guest
bathroom remodel ?'s

I am looking into remodeling my old bathroom. This is your regulat story and a half home. The bathroom is on the mainfloor with a window in the tub/shower area. This bathroom is not blessed with space (8x5). I have a few problems that maybe someone can offer a solution to.

1. My ceiling has no fan, and no electric to run a fan there. We shower with the door open, and still get a peeling ceiling. No matter what kind of painting and scraping we do, it always peels.

2. My other problem is my shower door. Instead of going to a shower door, which maybe the best solution, does anyone know where i can get a bi-folding shower door? They used to sell these at Menards, and Home Depot does not have anything close. There are also no Lowes in these knecks of the woods. The main reason I am looking for this is because we currecntly have standard shower doors. A new baby is weeks away, and I do not want my wife trying to bath the baby while resting her arms on the track (ouch).

3. This one is much more difficult. I have an old porcelin tub. Stains and the whole bit. Some people have mentioned that they have had theirs professionally sprayed. thats great, but no one around here does that. They all do the new cover the old technique. With a window in the bath, that is not possible.....

I would like to take a hammer to the whole project, but with little time, I don't want to start a major project with the first baby on the way.

If anyone can help with any solution that would be great, thanks!

Chad

Old 02-12-02, 09:19 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ventalation Help

Chad,

The only thing that I maybe able to help with is the ventalation problem. I had the same issue, no power in the ceiling but needed to get the steam out of the room. I nstalled a ceiling venting fan in the wall as high and close to the shower as I could. I tapped into the electric in the bedroom next to the bath by putting in a ground fault plug and put a switch between this power source and the fan. What a bigg difference. I also removed the doors on our tub because of the channel issue and washing the kids. I went back to the old plastic shower curtains. As for the stains, some of the citrus products are good on rust and hard water stains. They are also relatively inexpensive and can be used for other jobs within the house. Eventually you will probable have to take a hammer to that room.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 02-12-02, 09:47 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old 02-12-02, 10:08 AM
Chad T
Visiting Guest
Thanks a ton guys. This gets me off on the right track. Those doors are exactly what I wanted. Cheap too! I'll have to try something like that Doug. If it werent for my story and a half i'd be done by now. I'd love to take a hammer to it all, but the wife wount let me for fear of more damage to our only bathroom

Old 02-12-02, 10:14 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have any attic space above the bathroom to run some ducting. Here is a site for a centralliy located fan for venting. http://www.fantech-us.com/index.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: