Bathroom fan vent

Old 02-14-02, 06:35 PM
rickf853
Visiting Guest
Bathroom fan vent

The run from my ceiling fan to the outside wall is more than 15' to an outside wall! I need to reroute it to the roof. What type of roof flange should I use? Is there an easy way to cut the roof?

rick

Old 02-17-02, 07:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

There are exhaust vent roof caps (flat) made for the purpose. Just shop around.
To install the vent through the roof, drive a nail from the attic up through the roof to mark the location at the center of where your vent pipe will be.
Go up on the roof and remove the shingles around the nail (carefully, so that you can roll them back in place if possible).
Draw a circle on the roof sheathing large enough for the vent pipe (with the nail in the center). Drill a pilot hole large enough for the blade at the inside edge of the circle and use a jig saw to cut the circle out of the roof sheathing.
Run the vent pipe and install the vent cap with the flange under the shingle above it, and seal it with black plastic roofing cement.
That stuff is very sticky and a mess to work with, so use old clothes and throw-away rubber gloves.
Cut and place the shingles back around the edges of the vent cap.
Insulate the vent pipe in the attic by wrapping and taping insulation batts around it to prevent the warm, moist air from condensing and running back down into the fan when it hits the cold vent pipe in the unheated attic.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-18-02, 10:45 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Hi:
Don't know where you live, but up here in Minnesota we get lots of snow on the roof. I just got rid of a roof vent 2 years ago because it would get covered with snow and take 2 or 3 days to melt away the snow. I had about a 20' run to a gable end, so I transitioned up to a 6" duct right away, ran to the gable end, installed an in-line fan and exhausted out the wall; the in-line fan is wired with the ceiling fan so they come on together. Works like a champ, although small children have to carry rocks in their pockets to avoid being sucked out . My only concern was how the in-line fan would hold up to the moisture, so I wired everything into a GFI circuit and I run the fan a little longer after moisture has cleared out.
Bruce

Old 02-18-02, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Rick, I should have asked where you live.
I was advising you on what works down South, NOT in any snow.
Bruce has a very good point, and a good solution.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: