Water damage in drywall

Old 03-04-02, 06:50 PM
jwsmith00
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Water damage in drywall

My house is a side split with the upstairs bathroom located over the downstairs basement. There is noticeable water damage in the ceiling below the upstairs bathtub. Theres no discolouration. But the drywall does seem to be "rotting". I'd like to repair this--even if only cosmetically.

1) Considerings its right under the tub, do I just rip up the bad drywall, put in new drywall and paint?

2) I assume the tub is sitting on the joists. Is there anyone I can do to strengthen the joists?

3) Obviously if I find the source, I will be one step ahead. I can fix the source. But if I can't, is there anything wrong about fixing it cosmetically only?

4) Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Old 03-05-02, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Once drywall gets really wet, it has to be replaced.
You need to cut out the bad drywall to the center of the nearest outside ceiling joists.
(The joists should be strong enough for a bathtub without reinforcing them.)
THEN, find out what made it wet ( a drain leak, a water line leak, or a leak through the flooring from water on the floor?)./
Correct the source of the water first, then re-do the drywall.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-05-02, 11:59 AM
jpe55071
Visiting Guest
If you only fix the problem cosmetically, then you will have to fix it again later.

Unless you're selling you're house.

Even then, If you have the drywall off, you might as well fix the leak. Usually the hard part is repairing the drywall anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: