wainscoating in bathroom

Old 03-06-02, 06:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wainscoating in bathroom

I am considering replacing my puke green tile on the walls of my bathroom. I was thinking of removing it and installing some type of wainscoating. Or I was thinking about glueing the wainscoating right over the tile if that's practical. The tile comes up about four feet andI'm told that a half paneled wall would make an already small room look smaller. Is it a bad idea to use wood in a bath and is it a better idea to do the whole wall with the paneling. Thank you for any help you could offer,

Bill mcguane

Old 03-07-02, 12:06 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
There's no problem having wood paneling in a bathroom. I've got wainscoting in my bathroom and I've had no problems with it reacting to moisture. Just use a good primer (if you're painting) or a good clearcoat sealer.

I don't know if you even can glue paneling directly onto tile, but I wouldn't do it. Bust off the tiles and scrape the glue (sand a little if needed) to prepare the walls for paneling. I'd do the partial wall, not the whole wall. I really like that look (it's how my bathroom is and how bathrooms often seem to be done in decorating magazines).

If you have fairly low ceilings it might tend to make it look smaller because of the visual division it creates on the walls. But you've already got that anyway because of the tile. So, it's not going to make your bathroom look any smaller than it already does. If anything, it'll probbably make it look a little bigger than it does now because the wainscot is thinner than tile.

If you want to try to make the bathroom larger, you can paint the paneling and the walls the same color (or similar colors). Then the division at that 4' mark seem less of a dividing line and more like an interesting texture variance. Also, using light colors will make the room look bigger.

Old 03-11-02, 11:15 AM
wilkiepup@msn.c
Visiting Guest
We just finished putting up wainscoting in our bathroom and I love the way it looks. Previously there were pink and white tiles up about 57" up on the wall. When we removed them the wall was so ugly that we decided to replace the drywall. Since the wainscoting is higher up on the wall (higher than just 4') I think the room appears taller. Of course, when we put the crownmolding up that may change. We used a pre-primed wainscoting that comes in packages of 3 each 8' boards. We cut the boards down to 48" and used their prepackaged chairrail and baseboard with them. The chairrail and baseboard are rabetted out 1/2" to accept the wainscoting boards. We purchased this wainscoting at Lowes'. Cost was $13.42 per package. The 8' base and chairail packages were about $9.50 or so.
If you would like to see our on-going remodel of our small bathroom go here:
www.geocities.com\wilkiepup2002

Old 03-12-02, 01:03 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by wilkiepup@msn.c
If you would like to see our on-going remodel of our small bathroom go here: www.geocities.com/wilkiepup2002
Cool! Thanks so much for sharing the link. I thoroughly enjoyed going through your project diary. Your bathroom looks great!!

Old 03-12-02, 05:37 AM
wilkiepup@msn.c
Visiting Guest
It's a slow process. Paying work gets in the way. lol Lots of painting and more trim to add - window and crownmolding. Then we need to put up the cabinet and the mirror, all of the towel bars and other fixtures. Then build the slide out shelves for the linen closet and sew the shower and window curtains. I got some really cool colored glass knobs and pulls off of eBay that should coordinate with the fabric. I hope the worst is behind us now.
Marilyn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: