Fiberglass tub replacement

Old 03-07-02, 09:20 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fiberglass tub replacement

I was cleaning the bottom of the fiberglass tub and notice hair line cracks running from side to side. Which I would assume the only way to fix this is replace the tub. The tub has fiberglass wall, all one piece(go about 3/4 way up the wall). The bath room has no tile, so what holds a figerglass tub in? I have replaced or repair just about anything in a house except a tub. Any suggestion on replacing the tub would be great. Also what would cause the cracks in the tub, its about 14 to 17 years old?

Thanks

Old 03-07-02, 12:43 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most common method of securing fiberglass tubs is with a nail fin that runs continuously around the edge, starting at the floor at one end and ending at the floor at the other end. The sheetrock is then extended over that fin, all the way to the surface of the tub. The tub was put in, and then the walls of the house were built around it. You won't get it out in one piece. I would suggest a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade to cut it into smaller pieces that can be removed. For the new tub, you will want to get a 'remodel' unit. They come in several pieces that can be manuevered through the house to the bathroom and then installed. While you are at it, I would suggest replacing the tub/shower valve before installing the new tub. You won't have a better (easier) opportunity.

What caused the cracks? Use. Fiberglass tubs and showers come in essentially 3 grades: those that HAVE to be set in a bed of sand or mortar; those that RECOMMEND it, but say it's not necessary; and those that are fully supported and don't need it at all. Most builders, especially those of standard or tract homes, use the middle grade, and never set them in the bed of sand or mortar. Nothing wrong with it, as they last for at least 15 to 20 years.

Old 03-07-02, 06:33 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lefty,
I seen where they sell fiberglass repair kits, are they any good? Maybe buy me some time till ready to replace the tub?

Thank you for all your answer and suggestion

Old 03-10-02, 04:40 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you have as little experience at repairing fiberglass as I do, I would hire it done. If, in attempting to repair the cracks you create a leak, it could cost you thousands!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: