Bathtub without instructions

Old 03-13-02, 02:12 PM
JazzyD
Visiting Guest
Question Bathtub without instructions

I bought a fiberglass tub from a store that was closing in the area. The only problem is there are no installation instructions. Any help would be appreiciated. Here is the situation: I pulled the old tub from a second story bath. It was resting on the beams and there are some short 2x4's on the studs that it also appearred to be resting on. The old tub was steel and the new fiberglass so I would think it would need more stability and perhaps something underneath. Also the only hardware I got were three long plastic stips. One side of these strips fits on the top edges of the tub, the other side is notched for what I do not know. My guess is this is where the drywall would slide into. Does that seem right. As you can tell I need help. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-02, 08:47 PM
tedn332
Visiting Guest
your fiberglass tub should be screwed directly to the studs all around. Shim the bottom of the tub in two or three places between tub and floor. Shim the wall out to match the tub flange {usually 3/16} and bring your moisture resistent [green rock] sheetrock down to within 1/8 inch of the tub. Seal this gap when you're done painting etc with silicone.

Old 03-13-02, 08:49 PM
tedn332
Visiting Guest
forgot to mention......throw the three plastics strips in the trash.........they do not provide a decent seal.....silicone works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: