Tub Drain Leaking

Old 03-15-02, 11:51 AM
csmaggus
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tub Drain Leaking

HI, I purchased a new tub and it is in place. My problem is that when we turn the water on in the tub - water leaks below - where the drain and the pipe connect. Now when we put in the drain - we twisted it in place with silicon - the drain at the same time went into the pipe. ( 1 ) Should we of placed other kind of sealant on drain and/ or pipe or just the drain. ??????? So confused - just want to have a bath !!!! ( 2 ) Should we of also placed a sealant on the edge of the pipe so it was sealed underneath the tub ????

Hope you can help me .

Chantal

Old 03-15-02, 06:45 PM
mcgub
Visiting Guest
Your post has left me confused...the drain is a pipe...where the pipe and the pipe connect??

NEVER...uh...never use silicone on a plumbing joint or installation.

I beleive you may be talking about the strainer into the drain...in that case...there is a rubber gasket that should go under the tub on the piece that the strainer threads into...as a rule I put plumbers putty on the bottom of the strainer lip to give it that extra protection. It should be tightened in with either a wrench or plier handles to give it good seating. Before any of this you must remove all traces of the evil silicone.

If I am totally off base then ignore the above and please clarify your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: