How long to wait to apply Silicone Grout Sealer

Old 03-19-02, 09:54 AM
william kossack
Visiting Guest
Question How long to wait to apply Silicone Grout Sealer

As part of my quest to fix a leaking bathtub I noticed that the grout around the tile was in really bad shape and possibly the source of the leak.

I scraped out much of the old grout with a utility knife and re-grouted the tile with a premix un-sanded grout.

Someone told me that I should now seal the grout. So I purchased a bottle of Tile Guard, Silicone Grout Sealer at my local hardware store. When I got home I saw that I had to wait 2 weeks for the grout to dry before applying the sealer. Two weeks?

The directions on the premixed grout say I had to wait only 2 days before exposing to water. So is it really necessary to wait two weeks?

Old 03-19-02, 09:55 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Two weeks seems like overkill to me, but every brand will have their own directions. The one I used on my bathroom floors said to wait 4 days before applying it. The point is, of course, that the grout needs to cure before you seal it, otherwise sealing it will slow or prevent it from curing properly. You might check with a tile retailer and find a sealer that requires less than 2 weeks of cure time before applying it.

Old 03-20-02, 06:48 AM
william kossack
Visiting Guest
what the manufacture said

"...if applying to newly installed or patched grout we recommend as a safety precaution that the new grout be applied to cure 14 days before application. Although most grout have a dry time stated on the product, like cement for instance, grout will continue to cure. If the grout is sealed before it had fully cured sealing in any moisture it may cause the grout to crack."

Unfortunately our local hardware store carries only this brand. I've debated taking it back but the bathroom is the kids bathroom and they can shower in the guest bathroom (and have been while I've been trying to fix the leak). It has already been nearly a week since I regrouted.

Old 03-20-02, 04:06 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hey, if it has already been one week and the kids are surviving without the use of the bathroom, then what's one more week? Trying to rush the process will probably cause the sealer to fail, in which case you wasted your time and money on everything!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: