need strong floor

Old 03-20-02, 05:48 AM
phel0021
Visiting Guest
need strong floor

Plan is to re-tile bathroom floor. I've ripped up the old tile down to the plywood. Then I installed 1/4 inch hardibacker board on top of that. I screwed it down every 6 inches to make sure I was hitting bottem support. The floor still "gives" just a tiny bit. Homedepot guy says to pull it up and lay a self leveling compound and tile over that. I've heard people having problems with that stuff cracking, so am wondering if I should just remove the 1/4 inch backerboard and place 1/2 in. backerboard. Jen

Old 03-20-02, 04:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Starting at the bottom and working up, tell us what you've got. Floor joists -- how large, and how far apart? Subfloor -- what is it? You screwed the 1/4" Hardibacker to that. If the Hardibacker gives, the subfloor has some "give" in it.

Old 03-24-02, 12:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your'e laying ceramic tile you've got a lot more work to do...

On wood subfloor, your'e going to have to have at least 1 1/8" prior to laying tile. Probably what your subfloor is, is 3/4" plywood. If moving when you walk on it you need to tighten it up with either more screws, more support from below or both. After wood is firmer, you will need to lay 1/2" (not 1/4") backer board on top of thinset mortar. Screw the 1/2" board @ 4" on edges and @ every 6" in the middle. The backerboard seams have to be taped and mortared kind of like sheetrock. After that you can lay ceramic tiles just like on any concrete surface. Home Depot guy should have a book for either ceramic tile or vinyl tile. I've found that the books they sell are worth the $25.00 price tag for a first timer. They take a lot of guess work out of the project.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: