Walls

Old 03-21-02, 02:40 AM
Bones512
Visiting Guest
Walls

My house was bulit in 1963. The bath has drywall that was first painted, then walpapered, then painted a few times. I have removed all the wallpaper (what a pain with the layers of paint on it). It still has some glue on it, and some texture created by using a roller to paint.

I like the look of my mother's bathroom walls. The walls are plaster. Nice and smooth and shiny.

My question is how can I replicate that look in my bathroom. I plan to sand the walls smooth, prime and paint. What would be your recommendations for paint and how to apply it to get the desired effect?

Old 03-21-02, 06:14 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Once you start sanding on the walls, you will probably tear up the paper on the sheetrock in more than one place, and it will be very difficult to achieve the affect you desire. A much simpler and less frustrating way would be to simply remove all of the sheetrock in the bathroom and replace it with new. If any of the walls are exterior walls, insulate them before you install the new 'rock. A day will have the old out, the new in and taped. Another day to top coat the tape joints, and a 3rd day to paint it. (Most of those "days" are drying time. Sqeeze in 18 holes if you are a golfer, or plan a fishing trip if you are so inclined!)

Old 03-22-02, 01:18 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the sanding. If you're careful and use the finest grit paper that will work, you can probably prevent any significant wearing of the drywall surface paper. So, once you've gotten them smoothed out, spot spackle anything that still doesn't look good, sand that smooth, prime the walls and paint with a semi-gloss latex. Without actually plastering the walls, there's no way to make them look exactly like plaster. But to get close to the look you desire, use a thin nap roller--the thicker the nap, the more texture the paint will have, so get the least fluffy one you can find.

Old 03-22-02, 09:30 AM
KC~76
Visiting Guest
Dynagirl's on the right track. What I did on my walls 9which are actual plaster) to get that glass-smooth surface is this- put your paint on with the roller, then brush it out. no matter how short the nap on your roller, it will still leave that orange-peel texture if you don't brush it out. And I would go with oil-based paint- all around better in a bathroom, and it will flow out smoothly, giving you that look you want.

Old 03-22-02, 11:19 AM
Bones512
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. The layer/layers of paint that was applied to the drywall before someone put the wallpaper on is thick enough that I think that I can safely sand it without damaging the paper.

I thought that oil-based paint would be the way to go for this application to achieve the look I want, so I'll go with it.

I have seen the "roll and tip" method used to apply paint to boat hulls with incredible results. I'll give it a try. I'll get my wife to roll while I tip.

I am still finishing up the drywall in the bath enclosure. A gentleman came out and measured for our cultured marble surround and vanity top today. I'll try to have the painting done before they do the installation. I'll let y'all know how things turn out. Thanks.

Old 03-25-02, 06:38 PM
Boompa
Visiting Guest
Have you thougth about 1/4" sheetrock over the existing walls. I swore the last time I tried to scape and sand bathroom walls that I'd never do it again. I had a lot of luck with 1/4" sheetrock over shiplap lumber in an old house we had a few years ago. I was real hesitent to begin with but got real proficient with floating and taping throgh the process.
Good Luck in whatever you do!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: