Wainscoting in Bathroom

Old 03-24-02, 08:20 AM
JasonB
Visiting Guest
Wainscoting in Bathroom

I am just about to beging the process of renovating our second floor master bath (demolition first). We have decided to put waiscoting on the lower half of the walls. However, I am unsure how high the wainscoting should go on the wall. For instance, our 1st floor bathroom has half-tiled walls going up 4 feet. If I put the wainscoting up to four feet high, and because I am putting in a 36 inch vanity, I guess I would have to wainscot behind the vanity before installing the vanity since the wainscoting will be higher than the vanity.

Is this right? And is 4 feet a good height? Home Depot has wainscotting materials - is this stuff fine or would someone recommend something else?

Thanks.

Jason

Old 03-24-02, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 263 Upvotes on 214 Posts
Right off the top of my head I would say 4' would be too high for the wainscoting; that would be halfway up an 8' wall. I think 32-36" would be more like it and since your vanity is going to be 36" high, I would suggest visually the room will look better if the wainscoting (the top of the upper trim on it) ends at the vanity level.

Old 03-25-02, 09:04 AM
dylan925
Visiting Guest
i am doing a very similiar remodel and have been researching the different types of wainscoting available. I think the tow guy is right, 48" may be a little high for an 8' ceiling. I have used the 1/4" baltic birch sheets that home depot sells in another room in the house. It seems fine, but i think i will use a thicker product for the bathroom to guard against warping with the moisture. I have found a sheet product called "ply-bead" at a lumber store, it comes in 4'x8' sheets, it is 3/8" yellow pine. I'm doing my ceiling with the same material.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-02, 06:11 PM
JasonB
Visiting Guest
Thanks for both of your responses. After reading your responses and a google search on the net I realize that having the upper trim end at the lip of the vanitytop.

Dylan - Could you provide me with the name of the lumber store? I'm in CT so not too far away from RI, or I can have it shipped. I searched online with no luck.

Thanks.

Jason

Old 03-25-02, 07:32 PM
spiker
Visiting Guest
Jason, you might also want to check out 1x6 or 1x8 pine carsiding when run at an angle and capped looks nice. Its not very expensive either.

Old 03-26-02, 08:31 AM
dylan925
Visiting Guest
Jason the lumber store that i talked too that actually stocks the 3/8" pine wainscot is Arnold Lumber. They are in Kingston(right next to URI). Call a few lumber yards near you and ask for "ply-bead", I think it is fairly common and if they don't stock it they may be able to order it very easily(I encountered this at another lumber yard). Arnold also has a very nice selection of molding, much more extensive than the depot. I found a nice chair rail that will sit right on top of the 3/8" ply.

Old 03-26-02, 07:00 PM
Galv33
Visiting Guest
fyi....I put the wainscoting (bought from Home Depot...3-4" wide strips) in kitchen half-way....and bathroom up to ceiling. I painted the kitchen ....and poly'ed the bathroom. The kitchen wainscoting looks good but it now has expansion "gaps" . If your NOT painting the material I would suggest using the Home Depot Wainscoting paneling (4 x 8 sheets)in the bathroom. It goes up alot quicker...and looks pretty good.

p.s: put material past vanity...and cover with nice molding. Combining two different types of molding in lieu of expensive fancy molding works nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: