Removing Bath Tub

Old 03-26-02, 06:47 PM
Galv33
Visiting Guest
Removing Bath Tub

I may have already submitted this...I don't think it was saved. Sorry if it's out there twice.

Here's my situation: Similar to Mike I am removing a old cast iron tub. However, I am also getting rid of the 4 x 4 tiles, sheetrock, etc. 1st Question: How do I detach the drain pipe from bottom of tub ? Is this done from the inside of tub....or do I need to expose the plumbing in the adjacent wall ? Do I need to lift the tub up to get to bottom fixtures ? First time taking on "tub" beast.

Also, the prior owner had a leak....we don't use the shower..only bath. Last year I fixed the sheet rock ceiling on 1st floor...and looked to see if there was any damage. Couldn't see any. 2nd Question: Once I remove the tub should I pull the sub-floor to inspect further for damage ?

Old 03-26-02, 09:02 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you going to be replacing the tub? If so, then removal can start with an 8# sledge hammer, after you disconnect the drain. Break the old tub into pieces to get it out. Just be careful -- the shards of cast iron are sharp and, according to one person who posted a few weeks ago, can break a toilet. Wear gloves, eye protection and lots of heavy clothing while busting up the old tub.

To access the drain, going through an adjacent wall is usually the easiest. The other alternative would be to come up from the first floor ceiling. (You can't disconnect the drain from inside the tub.)

Once the tub is gone, you will see the subfloor under it. Probe at it around the cutout for the drain with a large, flat blade screw driver. If it is rotten, replace what you need to to get rid of the rot.

Old 03-29-02, 01:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before you go through a wall or ceiling, go to the hardware store and buy a drain wrench. Should have two or four lugs which grab the drain strainer. Put it in the drain and turn it counter clockwise. This should un-attach your drain. If you have an overflow above the drain (on vertical part of tub), remove the two screws and push the pipe away from the tub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: