stripping bathroom paint???

Old 04-01-02, 01:35 PM
IngridW
Visiting Guest
Unhappy stripping bathroom paint???

I have a bathroom without windows which was painted with a durable kitchen/bathroom type paint about 3 years ago. Four teens take showers in there and the paint is now cracked and mildewy. I have scraped some of it off where it was loose and cracked. Do I have to remove all the paint to repaint, if so, what's the best way to do that. Also, could I wallpaper over it?
I can't really afford tile right now, but any suggestions that will create a lasting effect are welcome. Thanks!

Old 04-01-02, 03:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi Ingrid:

Sounds to me like you have a humidity problem in the bathroom. Hoperully, there's an exhaust fan in the bathroom. If not, I'd install one as soon as possible. If you do indeed have a fan, chances are it's not being left on long enough to clear the humidity from the room.

You don't have to stip the rest of the paint. However, I'd make sure you have all of the loose paint off and then sand the edges to smooth them out so the bumps will be less noticable after you have re-painted. If necessary, you might want to consider adding spackle or drywall compound to smooth out the wall and celing. This takes a little more time, but, will give you a much better job in the long run.

Once you have made all the repairs, it's time to re-paint. I'm assuming the last paint job was latex paint. Make sure you use a paint that has some shine to it. Flat paint will hold moisture longer and will bring back the mildew problem much sooner. A paint with a shine to it has a much tighter surface and will shed water and humidity soooner.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: