shower wall tile removal

Old 04-04-02, 02:30 PM
nktps
Visiting Guest
Question shower wall tile removal

We are in the process of re-doing our very small master bath. We are going to take out the existing tile and shower pan and replace with all ceramic tile. I just chipped away to find that the builder (15 yrs ago) put the shower wall tile up directly on the wall board with no intervening barrier or under surface. Two questions: 1) What is the easiest way to remove the existing tile without ruining the wallboard; 2) Are there any useful tools for rent (eg. from Home Depot?) 3) What is the preferred method for laying the new tile?

Removing the tile one tile at a time seems to be a daunting task. It would be nice if there were a simple trick or some advice to make it easier.

We are thinking that we will need to use a vapor barrier first prior to putting up any cement board. Is roofing felt the best choice?

When we put up the cement board the walls for the shower will be thicker than the walls for the rest of the bathroom (probably 1/2 - 1" considering the thickness of the barrier, cement board and tile). How should we account for this?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-02, 08:13 AM
DavidT
Visiting Guest
I am currently doing the same remodel and also found drywall under the shower tiles but to answer your questions:

There is no way to remove the tiles from drywall without destroying the drywall. Just take out the drywall and tiles. You don't have to remove all the drywall just enough to get the tiles and about 6 inches fram anywhere that might get wet. Put up your vapor barrier, and install the cement board to the studs. You should use 1/2 inch cement boards and then you won't have any wall depth issues.

If you want to replace the dry wall and install the cement board on top of that, then you can use quarter round tiles at the edge to make the seam look nice.

As far as vapor barriers I am using a 6mil poly sheet that you can get in the painting section of any big box store. I think that you can also use roofing felt as well, you might want to check around to make sure.

Best of luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: