replacing tub fixtures

Old 04-07-02, 12:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question replacing tub fixtures

Is it possible to replace tub fixtures without calling in a high tech plumber? Fixtures such as, handles, faucet, drain lever and drain cover? The current ones are damaged by what appears to have been too harsh of cleaner used on them and hard water over a period of years. I need to know what tools I would need for the job, and if it is feasible to attempt it on my own.

I have an eager spirit and adventurous outlook on life if that counts Anxiously awaiting a reply as I would like to get started on this project as soon as possible. Thanks!
Old 04-07-02, 02:07 PM
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 416
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should be able to buy everything you want at Home Depot. Pull off your faucet knobs and trim, and bring those with you so that you can match them. (How they connect to the valves)

While you're at it you may want to bring the overflow cover and drain cover just to make sure you get the right size. (These are usually pretty standard size)

Have Fun!
Old 04-07-02, 05:39 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You can easily replace all of your visible tub fixtures with a flathead screwdriver, a Phillips screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a pipe wrench, a roll of teflon tape and some plumber's putty.
You can get new faucet handles, new drain, tub spout, overflow plate with trip lever, and a new shower arm and showerhead (if you have the latter two).
They are all very easy to replace.
You can do a search in here to find out how-to, or come back on this same thread and ask, and we'll be glad to help you.
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: