Bathroom lighting & other questions

Old 04-07-02, 07:13 PM
Spirit
Visiting Guest
Question Bathroom lighting & other questions

Husband and I are disagreeing. Can someone shed some light on this? We are putting in a exhaust fan-ceiling light-2 wall sconces one on each end of whirlpool-smaller sconces on each side of mirror above pedestal sink.He wants to wire all the light to one switch and I don;t want this. I want the sconces on seperate dimmer switch and I prefer the smaller sconces for above the sink to have there own on and off switch on the light(those are hard to find)And to have the ceiling light and exhaust fan switches just inside the door with an outlet next to them.
SImplier terms he wants all the lights to turn on with one switch and I don;t. But the problem is we will have to many switches. Does anyone know where to find lights with on and off switches on them? How do we do this?
On outlets where is the proper place to put an outlet by the sink to use hair dryers and things? He wants to put it under the sink and I don;t. Cause he says those special outlets you need to use by water are ugly.
Another question-My husband does have some knowledge on wiring but should we hire an electrition to wire the whirlpool?
Thanks

Old 04-08-02, 12:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Your questions really will get better answers in the Electrical forum from the pros over there (I'm not one), so please post over there.
This is just preliminary info.
How you choose to setup your lights, fan and switches is a personal choice.
I believe that you would be much better off having a double switch box just inside the door for the main lights and fan.
The switch nearest the door could be for the overhead light and main scones near the tub, and the second switch could be for the fan.
You could put a dimmer switch near the sink to control the sconces there. It's not that difficult.
And you need more than one double receptacle in the bathroom.
(In our master bath, my wife keeps an electric toothbrush base, a vanity lamp, hair curler set, and a curling iron plugged in most of the time, for instance.)
As far as not wanting a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter receptacle showing, that's easy.
You have two choices.
You could put a GFCI outlet as the first in the bathroom receptacle circuit where ever you want (under the tub for the pump or under the sink), because all outlets past it in that same circuit will also be ground-fault protected.
OR, you could do as I did, and just put the whole bathroom circuit on a GFCI breaker in the panel.
The whirlpool pump motor under the tub base should have a GFCI receptacle, but I'm not certain if it needs to be a separate dedicated circuit. I don't think so.
Check everything with the pros over in the Electrical forum. If your husband has experience and basic knowledge of electrical systems, he might be able to do it all. He can get help from there.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 04-08-02 at 09:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: