Mud job shower floor

Old 04-11-02, 09:29 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
Mud job shower floor

I am redoing my shower stall, I removed an old fiberglass floor pan and am planning to have a tile floor. Bought a rubber membrane to place down and the appropriate drain. I am just nervous that this will not be waterproof once I do the mud job. Is there special water proof cement I need to use for the mud job? how is the joint where the mudjob meets the drain kept waterproof? When I install the cement board on the walls I will need to screw through the rubber membrane - is this a problem? what about screws that hold the cement board on the shower curbing. Just want to get this right.

I attached the url to show which drain and shower liner I am using

thanks

Old 04-11-02, 05:58 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mud shower floor

A friend of the family is a tile setter. He is going to mud a 5' X 6' shower for me on Monday. I will let you know the procedure. I watched him mud one other shower and believe me it is not a job for the novice. He spread a layer of mud, installed the membrane which is an absolute must and then the top layer. More details Monday night.

Old 04-11-02, 06:00 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
Go visit the guys here -

John Bridge

They will walk you through every step.

I hate to refer out of doityourself, but these guys are really good.

Old 04-12-02, 10:30 AM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Talking Another shower pan link...

Here's another link to a step-by-step shower pan installation. I have done a lot of research on this on the internet, and found this one to be great. The last post also has a link to this site--the Journal of Light Construction. Hope this helps. I, too, am getting ready to tackle a shower redo, and now have the confidence that I can do it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200112112...ers/index.html

Good luck!

LewMac

Old 04-12-02, 11:05 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
thanks for the links, I think I have info overload now

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: