Removing ceramic tile from plaster walls

Old 04-29-02, 08:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Removing ceramic tile from plaster walls

How do I go about removing ceramic tiles from plaster walls? It's an old house but the walls are in good condition. I haven't decided if I want to re-tile or put in some type of wood wainscoting.

Old 04-30-02, 06:08 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
this has got to be next to impossible, plaster walls in old houses while beutiful are very fragile, I would think the tile are attached to the plaster with thinset which does not release easily. Are the tiles on the wall falling off or are you just looking to redo for astetics? If you are going to retile or do wainscoating it does not really matter that the plaster remain underneath - you can use sheet rook or cbu, then you just have to deal with the transition between the two surfaces assuming you are not tileing to the ceiling.

Old 04-30-02, 06:51 AM
S
Aesthetics

I am planning on remodeling the bathroom as the space is used poorly, once I do that I am either going to have to remove the existing tile or find some way to fill in the gaps with more tile or a different material.

Old 04-30-02, 07:36 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
I think if you want to remove the tile then the plaster behind it will need to come out too. As I mentioned you can then replace with more modern substrat and retile. If the tile only goes half way up the wall cut the plaster at the top of the tile row first so not to ruin the plaster above - this is very tricky to do given the fragile nature of plaster but I am not sure you have other options if you are set on replacing the tile

Old 11-19-10, 09:46 AM
E
Another Option

You might be able to save the wall by heating the tiles with a heat gun until the mastic softens, then pry the tiles off with a putty knife. However, if you are remodeling the easiest solution might be to tear out the plaster and put in drywall. I had re-piping done and the wall had to be opened. I didn't want to re-tile the whole bathroom, and I couldn't find an exact match for the tiles, so I had to salvage the old tiles for re-use. First I removed the grout with a Dremel Multi-Max. Then I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive. It takes patience because the heat has to penetrate the tile to the wall. The 50-year-old tiles popped off quite easily. Those that had been removed and replaced in the shower area 20 years ago took longer.

Old 11-19-10, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
You know this thread is almost 9 years old.

Old 11-28-10, 01:24 PM
E
Thanks. I was looking for my post of a couple of months ago but didn't find it. I just found it and posted there as well. I wanted to post how I did it for others who might be in the same situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: