window in shower/bathtub

Old 05-08-02, 08:57 PM
wilson
Visiting Guest
window in shower/bathtub

I just bought a house with a window above the tub, and a shower was installed with ceramic tile protecting the walls. the problem is that the wooden sill has started to rot and I would like to reove the old sill and and cover all exposed wood with tile. {the window is vinyl clad}Is this feasible and how would I do it?

Old 05-09-02, 04:46 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
hard to tell without seeing it, obviously windows in showers are not ideal. If the sill is rotten can you pry it out? once out you then need to get matching tile and an appropirate subsurface under it.

Old 12-10-02, 04:35 AM
BobCrane
Visiting Guest
After putting glassblock in a shower/tub window, I bought some brick moulding normally used for trimming a garage door opening. I made the top and sides flush to where the tile met them and had the bottom (inside sill) stick out about an inch. It turned out great!

Old 12-10-02, 05:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
BobCrane,

I think this will answer questions on use of glass block windows in replacement of existing old double hung windows that were placed in homes years ago.

http://www.allprohomeservices.net/pa...7131/index.htm

This project did have a tub with shower but client wanted shower only and ceramic tile walls. Now we have light, privacy, new exhaust fan ducted to the outside. Easy to clean with no worry about rotted sills or wall damage to insulation. No need to have any sill sticking out, it just creates a ledge for water to sit and start mildew all over again!

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: