Bathtub Rust Spots

Old 05-11-02, 07:09 PM
swivet
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Bathtub Rust Spots

My enameled steel bathtub shows areas where it's rusting away beneath the porcelain coat.

I've tried removing corrosion down to bright metal and patching with marine epoxy. Results are mixed -- but the patch seems to work for a year or so.

There must be a better way, short of ripping out the tub. What would a pro do??

Old 05-20-02, 09:13 PM
rosalinda
Visiting Guest
rust bucket tub

There are excellent companies who can refinish your bathtub and make repairs. As with any trade follow all the rules of locating a good refinisher who uses a good product. No refinisher can ever apply a coating which is as durable or hard as the original surface.
HOWEVER, it will be a close second if done properly. And when you way out the fact that is a tub is surrounded by tile, wall board, flooring, etc... you will involve 3 tradesmen. A tile setter, a plumber, and usually a carpenter since everything gets damaged during the process. Be leary of someone who claims to be all three. Then you have the cost of new fixtures. If you buy a cheap press steal tub then you are looking at a few hundred dollars. Of course this will only last about 5 to 7 years. If you buy a good cast iron Kohler or American Standard then maybe $400 to $800. just for the tub. By the time you are through it can cost $3000 to replace a tub. Now Refinishing can be done in one day, and can last 15 to 20 years. Average cost $325. All tubs require special maintenance. Not just a refinished bathtub. So weigh the cost. Also a refinished tub has unlimited colors. Check out the cost and selection of new tubs. Very expensive and limited colors.
Read about bathtub liners http://www.sanantoniosurface.com/ba...refinishing.htm They have many draw backs too. How do I know about all this? My husband is a Master Plumber who Holds a Masters Degree in vocational training and teaches for a local college.

Old 05-21-02, 07:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Swivet said "steel "bath tub, which would indicate that he currently has a stamped steel tub rather than a cast iron one. Is the in house refinishing appropriate for this type of tub? I had always assumed it was only for cast iron.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: