bathroom vanity and sink

Old 05-14-02, 08:52 AM
Wazoo13
Visiting Guest
Unhappy bathroom vanity and sink

I am installing a new bath vanity & sink top which was purchased from Lowes. It's a 30' vanity with a 1 pc sink top. My problem is that my walls are off. If the cabinet is going flush against a corner on one side, should the back and side slash be caulked to the wall? To level it I have almost a 1/2" gap on one side of the back splash while the other side is flush. I have the same problem with the cabinet on the side of the wall that it is against.
Should the area between the wall and the cabinet be caulked? Or are these cabinets and sinks suppose to sit like a piece of furniture and not be caulked to the wall? Please help?.

Old 05-14-02, 09:05 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
your walls must be way off - double check the cabinet by measuring corner to corner on the diagional - this will tell you if it is square. Normally you have to caulk a little but you sound like you are off a lot, maybe you can buy a 3in back and side splash to cover the gap. though they might have a gap too.

Old 05-14-02, 10:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can use 3/4" pre-finished quarter round on the sides of the cabinet that go against the wall. You can also run this along the base to help finish off that area also if floor is not quite level.

I would sure check the squareness of the cabinet as Dimento said. I usually use the side wall as the square wall and fasten the vanity directly to a stud there. I don't overhang the top this side, but do install a splash. This is how I make off level, or not square walls work with these tops. I float the top to make the best fit independant of the vanity base. Although the directions don't tell you glue the top in place as the weight and plumbing hold it in place, I use liquid nail to attach the top to the cabinet. You usually can't tell it at all and the liquid nail even works like caulking along the exposed edge. Sounds funny, but does work.

Old 05-14-02, 10:51 AM
Wazoo13
Visiting Guest
Thank You both for the help, I will forward this information to my husband and hopefully we can get it to look good. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: